Tips on choosing a breeder / puppy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tips on choosing a breeder / puppy

Post by furball »

Hi guys, we are looking to get a chow chow puppy and I have done a little research on the breed. Apparently they are prone to hip, knee, elbow and eye problems genetically. But what I can't see in my online research is how often these problems happen. Are we talking about 1 in 3? 1 in 10? or 1 in 100?

Also, are these problems easily spotted in the parents? I heard the US has health certificates for dogs, but I did a little search and it looks like there's no such thing in Australia. Has many people had issues here?
Max, Ritz, Shelly & Hunter
constantgardener
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Tips on choosing a breeder / puppy

Post by constantgardener »

furball wrote:Hi guys, we are looking to get a chow chow puppy and I have done a little research on the breed. Apparently they are prone to hip, knee, elbow and eye problems genetically. But what I can't see in my online research is how often these problems happen. Are we talking about 1 in 3? 1 in 10? or 1 in 100?

Also, are these problems easily spotted in the parents? I heard the US has health certificates for dogs, but I did a little search and it looks like there's no such thing in Australia. Has many people had issues here?
Being in Texas, I can’t help you in Australia. However, a reputable and responsible breeder is key to minimizing health issues. Seek out other owners who have had good experiences with particular breeders in your area. Seek testimonials via the breeder as well. Check their record with your version of our AKC. I’m on my 6th Chow Chow (we now always have two at a time...great company for one another- always male and female). Only breed for us. I have always purchased through top Chow Chow breeders. However, even with the best of breeding, it is still possible to have a hidden trait suddenly manifest itself in a blood line. Had one with elbow dysphasia and another who developed etropism, both successfully treated. The rest never had any genetic issues. Great dogs all! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furball »

Thanks for your reply. Although this is just you and doesn't represent everyone, 6 pups from top breeders and 2 of them developed elbow dysphasia and etropism, that's a very high percentage. May I ask were they expensive to treat?
constantgardener
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by constantgardener »

furball wrote:Thanks for your reply. Although this is just you and doesn't represent everyone, 6 pups from top breeders and 2 of them developed elbow dysphasia and etropism, that's a very high percentage. May I ask were they expensive to treat?
Both were at least 10 years ago. Etropism was not expensive...probably Less than $200 and fairly simple- small crescent moon of tissue removed from middle of lower eye lid and a few stitches. The elbow dysphasia was somewhat more expensive, “bone chips” removed from front leg joints. And once the breeder learned there were issues (with E. dysphasia), they took steps necessary to shut the bloodline. I have found Chows actually to be quite healthy overall. All breeds seem to have issues of one kind or another. These issues didn’t dissuade us from getting two more when our previous two both died of old age beginning a little over a year ago. Both are very healthy. Reggie (dark red male) is 15 months and Kichi (light red female) is 9 months. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furball »

Thanks for your reply. It doesn’t sound too bad. Yea I guess most breeds also could have some sort of issues at some point.