Breeder recommendations

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MNkate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Breeder recommendations

Post by MNkate »

Hello! I've never owned a chow chow so I'm new to this. I'm looking for recommendations for breeders, preferably in the Midwest. I live in MN but am willing to drive 8 -10 hours. I have researched D&M farms and heard they are good, however it sounds like there chows are really big (80lbs!). That might be too big for my husband and I. I've come across Heavenly Chows in Missouri...has anyone purchased a chow chow from there? Any other recommendations? Thank you in advance!
vikki0314
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Breeder recommendations

Post by vikki0314 »

I also want some recommendations. I found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page. His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!
loxton21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loxton21 »

I would just do cash when you get the dog or cheque when you get the dog. I’m skeptical about sending money, I always like to see the dog or parents before hand. But I am unsure about the website if it is legit or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I live in the Minnesota and there aren't many people that breed chows in our state. And that is also true in the Midwest. After getting Brutus in 2011, a big part of the reason I started showing was to meet Chow breeders and their chows in person. That was because it was hard to find a chow puppy back then. I think it's even harder now.

Finding a chow that I want usually is different what someone else wants. Sure price can be a big part of it but you get what you pay for. Chows that are showed and/or heath tested are going to cost more. I can tell you that these breeders care a really lot who gets their pups. They usually have a waiting list or very hard for a stranger to get one. They consider themselves the caretakers of the breed. I know this because I'm a member of Chow Chow Inc, and a local dog show club in Minneapolis, Mn.

So if anyone wants a suggestion on a breeder please be more specific and be prepare to do more just post on a forum once.
RobertR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RobertR »

I just saw this posting, and I made almost the same request (I live in MN). I don't have a problem doing leg work, research or time to visit the breeders. So where do you recommend I start looking?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Well the first thing you have to learn is how to approach any breeder. Price should be about the last thing brought up, only until you think they have a puppy you really like. You can probably guess how much they will be depending if the show and how well they have done. Plus if they test for health problems and how long they have been breeding chows. Breeders want you to ask about their chows and convince them you are a good fit. Most breeder, their chows are their passion and not just a thing they do on the side.

To find a breeder, the internet is a good start. Most chow breeders use their facebook page to show them off. Usually they are open to anyone to see. You can see their type of chows and how proud they are of them. A lot of time, if they have a new litter of pups they will show them too.

Find breeder on puppyfinder.com and others like that is ok to start but you are better do way more research. You can also ask people that have a chow that you like and ask them where did they got their. Ask them to use them as a reference to get closer to their breeder. Our Brutus came from Muddy Creek Chows who is best friends with Charmar Chows. Both have a facebook page. They live in Michigan. Spartacus and Bee came from Mi-Pao's Chows and have a web page. They live in Waterdown Canada.

In person is always the best, either at a show or at their house. But at shows you may see more types, especially the ones with more chows entered.

Hope this may help, but take your time because puppy live a long time.
idealchoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by idealchoose »

You can choose any of these following dog breeds as I collect information from my neighbors.First.Mixed Breeds- mixed-breeds are believed to have less genetically inherited health problems than purebreds.Second, Labrador Retrievers- they are devoted and obedient and have even temperaments that make them good with both children and other animals.Third, Pembroke Welsh Corgis- corgis have a cult-like following mainly due to their playful and sweet personalities.
If you find any problem with pet hair and find any vacuum cleaner, you may visit this websitehttps://idealchoose.com/
coral
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coral »

I'm also looking for a good Chow Chow breeder. I was told to stay away from Shelly Chrisman of Charmar because her bloodlines have known health problems, especially young puppies with bad entropian. I learned that having merles, chocolate brown puppies or brindles in litters is not good. Cherub Chows was another one I was warned to stay away from. There are other breeders who have complaint listings on the ripoff website. Does anyone here have a connection to a good breeder that doesn't have a long waiting list?
matisrev16
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matisrev16 »

vikki0314 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm I also want some recommendations. I found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page rachat de crédit endettement. His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!
You can ask him to present you with a certificate of authenticity if you have a concern.
MICKA88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MICKA88 »

matisrev16 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:35 pm
vikki0314 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm I also want some recommendations. I la salat et found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page librairie musulmane savon noir . His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience feuille de jujubier rhassoul with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!
You can ask him to present you with a certificate of authenticity if you have a concern.
Last edited by MICKA88 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICKA88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MICKA88 »

vikki0314 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm I also want some recommendations. I found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page . His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!
MICKA88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MICKA88 »

vikki0314 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm I also want some recommendations. I found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page rachat de crédit endettement. His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!
Steve Stevens
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Steve Stevens »

Please note this is an accurate review with no bias nor embellishment.

We purchased our Chow from D and M Kennels in 2019. Paid a premium because of the companies claim they were breeding dogs for temperament and health. We were told by the owners their puppies were being bred specifically to be dysplasia and glaucoma free. Marlene was friendly enough however her husband Darrell reeks of narcissism.

That said our puppy in less than a year has been diagnosed with severe dysplasia on both rear hips. We have come to find out that several other litter mates have the same dysplasia and on top of the rear dysplasia one has had to have surgery on their front legs as well

What is scary is the same pair that mated and produced our chow have been mated several more times since our litter and their offspring has already been sold.

We have researched D and M thoroughly, sadly after the fact, and have found many similar stories to ours.

We will forward to anyone that requests our puppies X-rays that shows these problems. We are also in possession of other D and M owners records as well.

D and M does not offer OFA testing and do not vet their puppies. D and M Farms guarantee basically states they will give you a new puppy when the original animal is put down with proof of euthanization. REALLY!!! Here is a portion of the written guarantee from D and M's website:

"The veterinarian must state in writing that the condition will prevent the dog from leading a reasonably normal life.
If you choose to have corrective surgery to address the condition, which will enable the dog to lead a reasonably normal life
with a normal life expectancy, our guarantee will not apply. However, if you must have your dog euthanized based on your health
provider’s prognosis, then our guarantee will apply with written proof of said euthanization.

So in other words if you love your animal like a family member and want to do whatever you can to save the puppy then unless you kill it there is no guarantee. Perhaps the worst guarantee we have ever heard of, disgusting!

D and M Kennels has had more than seven litters this year, five in March alone, and it is not even April yet. What responsible breeder has this many litters other than having a PUPPY MILL mentality.

Can you imagine having to tell your children you have to put down your animal because you do not have the tens of thousands of dollars for numerous operations not to mention the months upon months of re-habilitation time.

We asked the owners of D and M before disclosing our animals condition if they had ever had any puppies with hip problems. They unequivocally denied knowing of any animals that have come from their kennel with any problems. We then pushed them a little further enquiring if any of our pup's litt er mates had dysplasia (fully knowing they had been informed of the others health issues months earlier). Marlene stated there was no other problems with any other animals. It wasn't until several weeks past and we confronted them. They responded and stated they had made a mistake. DARLENE AND DARRELL were dishonest on multiple occasions.

We also asked D and M owners how they could in all good conscience knowingly breed animals with genetic deficiencies that were being passed on to their puppies. Our answer was simple.... we were blocked from their site and told via txt that we did not deserve their animals.

THIS KENNEL NEEDS TO BE STOPPED FROM BREEDING IMMEDIATELY and any allowed to mate with any other sire or dams from any other kennel.

We will do everything in our power legally, to help save both the puppies and pets parents from suffering a similar fate of our loved one.

Thank you for your time.