Suggestions on training and games to play

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lizzie Snyder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Suggestions on training and games to play

Post by Lizzie Snyder »

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I was hoping to get some advice. I have a Chow/lab mix who is about 7 now. He is a rescue and I've had him for 4 years. His personality is pretty much all chow. He's stubborn, independent, VERY loyal, a great guard dog, has a very odd but hilarious sense of humor, and pretty weary of strangers but confident at the same time. He's an amazing dog and incredibly smart, sometimes too smart. I've spent a ton of money on trainers but he would spend the entire session sitting down completely ignoring the trainer, not responding to anything. He doesn't seem to bond with anyone except me. I taught him basic things myself and he's pretty well behaved.

Where I'm running into trouble is finding things to keep him occupied. When he doesn't get enough mental stimulation he starts to get himself into trouble (like finding a new way to break out of the house to terrorize the neighbors outdoor cats). I've been trying to think of games that I can play with him and I've thought about training him in something (like scent work) but keeping him engaged or interested at all is difficult.. He'd rather be staring out the window or patrolling the back yard but those things don't work his brain enough. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!
Attachments
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG (99.29 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (161.35 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Suggestions on training and games to play

Post by Mia »

He looks like he has a doggy sister or brother that should keep him occupied.
But, there are other things you can do, like give him a Kong (rubber toy you can find in Petco or other pet shop) and fill it with peanut butter or soft spreadable cheese. That should keep him occupied.
Mia