"Smushing" his face on things?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mudts
Rank 0
Rank 0

"Smushing" his face on things?

Post by Mudts »

So, Nico is my first chow chow. I love him more than anything and am honestly surprised that I survived this long without one in my life. Anyways, I can't tell if there is a reason my dog does this or if he is just an oddball. He "smushes" his face into... everything! He will pick a treat in his mouth, bring it somewhere new, drop it on the floor, and smush it. He will take his toys and smush them. If you are laying on the floor, he will smush your face. Anything! I read that dogs sometimes do this so they will smell like whatever it is they're rolling in, but he will do it with non-smelly things and scented ones alike. A dog trainer at Petco once tried to give him a treat and he smushed it in her hand, and even she asked me "haha why does your dog do that?"

Here is a video of him doing t with a bug:

https://vid.me/4vDIj

Is this a common chow thing? I find it adorable, but just want to know why, lol.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: "Smushing" his face on things?

Post by JasonandNat »

To that degree this is a new one. If your vet doesn’t think it’s an issue your good, just a lot of smushing to come. Ours tend to only do that to dead animals and other predator urine/feces with the intent of eliminating the competition.