grooming

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

grooming

Post by Hades&Titan »

So get my male chow washed and blow dried sometimes when i cant be bothered and we got a new lady who says shes been doing this for a long time and she was a little rude on the subject of trimming him . now we have researched and learned that we shouldn't cut his fur but for some reason she thought we should get him trimmed every time and argued the point.
i was wondering everyone's opinion on this because i have always thought that you are not meant to apart from his feet pad fur
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: grooming

Post by Laura »

My two have had the same groomer since they were pups and the only cutting she is allowed to do is the stray hairs that pop up on Shuggys feet. No trimming or cutting to take away from their beautiful coats. I know some people trim up the backside (show chows for instance) but I prefer it the way it naturally grows. At the end of the day it is your decision and in no way is it hers.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

You should trim the fur of your dog just because the dog will not pick up so much dirt or sand and walk it through the house, If you live in cold climates it prevents the dog from picking up snow and sludge which can harden quite quickly and do damage to the dog’s paws, It just makes the dog’s paws look a lot neater and tidier.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Trim and shape the fur around the paws. Trim between the paw pads. That's it. Occasionally you may need to cut a mat, but with regular grooming it shouldn't be necessary. Never shape any other areas or shave down. Do not cut the Guard Hairs...ever. You can thin the butt area with a rake if it gets too fluffy and to remove shed, but never scissor. Use a flea comb on the rear hock and nose area to get rid of stray hairs if they get unruly.
Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hades&Titan »

thanks for the help , he never carries dirt because he is always clean and likes to be inside so we see no point we always trim his feet pads and thats it . its nice to know other chow owners opinions as there are not many where i live :)