Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ne0ndistraction
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

Postby ne0ndistraction » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 am

I posted this on reddit but thought I might get some additional help from here. :)

I was looking to rescue a dog from a shelter and came across a Chow Chow. I spoke with an employee and they said she was called in as a stray who had been living under someone's trailer for 4 days. She has not been eating much and seems depressed. She passed a temperament test and was fine with receiving shots.

I contacted a rescue, who I initially was talking to regarding adopting a pair of their dogs. They said they would contact the shelter and pick her up (today). Later they said there was no need because she was doing well. However, I got an email today saying that she is still not eating and is growing more depressed, they also hadn't spoken to any rescues. I don't even know what to think about that.

Either way, it's breaking my heart knowing she's in there. I grew up with Chows. I am aware of their care, temperament, etc. My hesitation with this is that I have children (4, 6, 11) and the youngest is autistic (high functioning), she actually has a Chow-ish personality. She is an older dog, they don't know the age yet but she's got a little white around her muzzle, so I have no idea knowing how she was raised. Part of me feels like she would possibly be aware that she was rescued, given a great home with people who are here all day to give her love and treats.. and part of me thinks that might be foolish.

So basically I'm looking for advice. I don't want her to be euthanized. She's got a lot against her .. age, size, color (black), breed, depression. But I don't want to put my kids at risk either.

stella1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

Postby stella1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 am

Can you spend more time at the shelter with the dog? I know some shelters let you take dogs out. If you did that for a week you may have a better idea.

JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JasonandNat » Fri May 12, 2017 7:21 am

Well we foster rescue chow's and we introduce them to lots of kids daily, never seen an issue. They will like/dislike anyone just like people do. Our FuShiLu doesn't like kids in general, but plays with several on the street she has deemed acceptible. ShenLung has never been fond of them but doesn't give them a thought unless they want to hug him. He thinks thats demeaning. That said, other than scaring a few kids who are a little grope mongers I have never even seen a chow harm one. Both ours have been around autistic children of friends and no body cried. No foster has ever had issues other than trying to get away from anyone that thinks they are stuffed toys. But really, what's wrong with that? ;) We so wish a positive outcome for both parties!

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby ski » Fri May 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Bless you for wanting to help this senior chow.
We rescued a chow years ago. His name was Loki. We had him ten years before we had a grandchild and had no idea what to expect as he had never been around children. He accepted him immediately and was always protective, being the first on the scene if he heard him crying. We lost Loki last year at the age of 13. He was always very gentle and accepting around children. We have since rescued another chow, Sargeant, who is about five. He is amazing with our now five year old grandson and two year old granddaughter. They "play" soccer together...which amounts to Sargeant chasing the soccer ball. He lays by them while they are playing and, as Loki, is very protective. we also have an elderly chow mix and he has the same Temperament. I hope this all works out for both you and the homeless chow. Keep us posted

Return to “General Discussions”