Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ne0ndistraction
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

Postby ne0ndistraction » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 am

I posted this on reddit but thought I might get some additional help from here. :)

I was looking to rescue a dog from a shelter and came across a Chow Chow. I spoke with an employee and they said she was called in as a stray who had been living under someone's trailer for 4 days. She has not been eating much and seems depressed. She passed a temperament test and was fine with receiving shots.

I contacted a rescue, who I initially was talking to regarding adopting a pair of their dogs. They said they would contact the shelter and pick her up (today). Later they said there was no need because she was doing well. However, I got an email today saying that she is still not eating and is growing more depressed, they also hadn't spoken to any rescues. I don't even know what to think about that.

Either way, it's breaking my heart knowing she's in there. I grew up with Chows. I am aware of their care, temperament, etc. My hesitation with this is that I have children (4, 6, 11) and the youngest is autistic (high functioning), she actually has a Chow-ish personality. She is an older dog, they don't know the age yet but she's got a little white around her muzzle, so I have no idea knowing how she was raised. Part of me feels like she would possibly be aware that she was rescued, given a great home with people who are here all day to give her love and treats.. and part of me thinks that might be foolish.

So basically I'm looking for advice. I don't want her to be euthanized. She's got a lot against her .. age, size, color (black), breed, depression. But I don't want to put my kids at risk either.

stella1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Adopting a Senior Chow with Children

Postby stella1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 am

Can you spend more time at the shelter with the dog? I know some shelters let you take dogs out. If you did that for a week you may have a better idea.

Return to “General Discussions”