other dogs

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

other dogs

Post by Hades&Titan »

Hi, so i have a 2 year old pug and a 8 month old chow (both male) and the have been best friends untill now ever since we moved house. the pug has always been the dominant one and now he doesnt like the chow coming near him at all and when i leave the house he can become quite snarky to the chow if he come near him ( i think he gets quite anxious) but its only last a few minutes. i leave them home all day together if i need to inside and they seem to be fine . i feel like the pug is being the bully not my chow and people keep telling me i need to fix one of them from strangers otherwise they will end up hurting or killing eachother ? i feel like its not quite at that point yet because they can eat next to eachother or i when i come home and they greet me they dont seem to care about eachother but i was wondering if anyone else has had this experiance? ( i dont want to fix them if i dont have to)
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: other dogs

Post by rmb »

As a dog lover and based on everything I've heard and read, definitely, neuter both. The pug now and the chow at 1 year old. Not only is it best for the health and well being of the dogs, It's just the responsible thing to do.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Neutering a dog has very few health benefits if any, and several possible adverse affects. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their dogs neutered but it shouldn't be done because you think it is better for their health, Do your research. In your case it may be required but it's not too unusual for two dogs to get "snarky" towards one another. I've got a male and a female and the older female ( 12 1/2 yrs) will certainly get snarky toward the younger male ( 15 months). In my case, I can assure you that fixing the Male would not change this behaviour. It is some jealousy and some crankiness. My last male would tolerate it from her and would have never hurt her but this new younger male goes back sometimes and it's a bit of a worry. I've never come home to any blood, thank goodness and fingers crossed. Deep down they really like each other, It's almost always over treats or jealousy. Good luck.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hades&Titan »

thanks for the advice its a lot better these last few weeks no problems at all from researching and watching i think the pug just get alittle jealous we have them inside together when were not home and there are no problems and still no issues over food and treats at all i think i need to work on the pugs seperation and attachment issues with me . our chow has been very independant until now he never really wanted attention but now its all he wants and the pug isnt use to it, i take my dogs everywhere with me and am always giving them attention and the pug just needs to get use to the fact that hes not the only one any more.