Should I get chow chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

N09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Should I get chow chow?

Post by N09 »

Hi,I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about chow chows. I'm interested in getting a chow chow but I'm unsure of how it will be. This will be my very first pet so I have no experience what so ever. I'm planning one getting a male pup. My very first worry is leaving the chow outside in my backyard. Is it okay to do so? Do they feel neglected or start acting out? The only reason why it will be in the backyard is because my parents do not want a dog inside which saddens me. Are they more of a inside dog? My backyard is big with lots of shelter, a fence and there is no dangerous animals around so no harm will come to the chow. Are they easy to train? I've been reading up on them and most websites say that they are aggressive, is this true? I plan to walk it several times a day, every day and of course play with it when I can in the backyard, spending all the time i can with him but it got me thinking if i leave it outside by its self for a few hours is it wrong? I will of course get it to play with my friends dogs and take it to a dog school but is this enough? Am I better off not getting one? I've always wanted a dog but theres this guilt in my head of leaving it outside by itself. Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Should I get chow chow?

Post by maikinda »

It would not be a good idea to get a chow a leave it outside. I would not recommend it for any dog. Chows need a lot of socialization. They need to be part of your family. Wait until you have your own home to get your chow.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 9430 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Please don't! No dog should not be relegated to living outside!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Do not get a dog just yet. The red flag is that your parents don't want a dog inside the house. Another is that it is your first pet. This means you are all alone in this and will get no support from your parents. In this scenario the dog ends up being rehomed or dumped in shelters when your other responsibilities will get in the way like your school or job. Any dog requires socialization with their families and constant supervision. Do not get a dog first. My parents are like yours that's why I got a Chow when I was already married and made sure my husband wanted one too.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I disagree completely with these last 3 responses. I have had 5 Chows now, my first one back in 1981. All of my Chows including my now 15 month old have always been outdoor dogs. I will admit that my dogs do come in occasionally but very seldom. I now have a dog door so it is their choice and my female almost never, if ever comes in and my male will come in but never for more than a few minutes. A person can absolutely have an outdoor dog that is loved, cared for and socialized and very happy just as easily if not more so than an indoor dog. Most of the time I find that it's the indoor dogs that are more neglected and/or less socialized because they don't have yards, aren't walked enough or aren't allowed to stay out and see people and things passing bye that are an everyday part of life. How many times have I read on this site alone, about dogs in cages all day while the owner is at work? if there is ever a time someone that shouldn't get a dog in the first place,this is it. They tend to NOT be easy to train but of course they can be, with patience and kindness. They must trust you more so than most breeds or they will not listen to you, So really try to avoid scaring them by yelling at them and of course no hitting. Some dogs will just come back to you for comfort but a Chow won't. It can take days for a Chow to forgive you if you frighten it or hurt it. If I was a dog, I'd much rather be in a home with a large back yard that was safe than cooped up in a house or apartment or cage, that I only could go outside when somebody felt like taking me. As long as you give it lots of attention and take him out on walks like any other good pet owner you won't have any problem. If anything, Chows tend not to, dig, bark too much (usually only when there is a reaon), jump up on people, or chew things as much as many breeds. You may even find that like with my Chows that if you walk them at a regular time that they will wait for their walk to go to the bathroom which is great for keeping the yard clean. Good luck and get a puppy if you are really ready for the responsibility.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

If a dog cannot be a full member of the family inside and outside and wanted/loved by all those in the household then I say no. A dog forced to live outside alone is not a family member. Yes some dogs love to be outside. I have a doggie door and my two come in and out as they choose. That is different and the dogs know it's different, than living outside alone 24/7 away from the rest of the family/pack. Please wait until you are in a situation to provide a complete home and family.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I just wanted to say to Constantina, that just because No9's parents say that they don't want a dog in the house doesn't mean that they wouldn't be there to love the dog and help with it in any way. Stating things as facts like he/she will be all alone in caring for the dog is something that was not said.That is twisting what they said into what you think, without knowing. I've also known several people that started out thinking that they don't like or want a dog in the house and almost without fail don't follow through especially with a Chow being so odorless quiet and clean natured. If the parents didn't think they were capable of caring for a dog I'm sure that they wouldn't allow a dog at all. My wife didn't want a dog at all and didn't want me to get one. She told me it was all my responsibility not hers. I got a Chow anyway because I was familiar with the breed and knew that she would have never experienced a dog like them. 2 years later, we got a second one, Her idea. Telling what I presume to be a younger person not to get a dog until they are old enough to move out of the house is crazy. I think that all children should be given the opportunity to have the joy of dog ownership. It's hard to beat the friendship and lessons learned from owning a dog.
stella1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stella1 »

Id be hesitant to get a dog that was not allowed inside. Some dogs are fine with that some struggle with it. Our dog would always hang out with us at night even if they are just sleeping or relaxing. I considered this bonding time. If given the choice during the day they would probably be happier staying outside all day but when nighttime came to sleep they wanted to be near us in the same room or not far.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I agree Stella1, Ideally it would be nice and probably better all around if your dog was allowed to come inside at times. My only point was that there are good dogs with loving parents that don't allow them in. And if someone really wants a dog that has to stay out then that is O.K. My dogs do come in as well, they just choose to stay out 99% of the time, even at night.
Also, I forgot to tell you, NO9 that they can be an aggressive breed if you don't socialize them while young and don't over encourage their natural tendency to guard. There is a big difference between a mean dog and a protective dog and with a Chow you need to be aware of it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Maybe a bit late to the party, but I will add my 15 cents anyway.

Regardless of what 'might' happen in the future with family acceptance, you should not get a dog (Chow or other) with the thought that it will be banished to living outside and not accepted as a member of the household.

Chows in particular need to be socialized and treated as family. You certainly would risk a dog that does not get along well with others, regardless of how much YOU play with it or interact. Imagine that the dog will treat his living area as HIS territory. Which a Chow certainly will. Essentially he will own the yard. Without proper interaction MOM will never be accepted into HIS yard. You are setting up an adversarial position. Mom will fear the dog, and he will sense that he wasn't really welcome in the 1st place. Nothing good can come from that.

While Chows have a reputation of independence and aloofness, they really do rely on interaction. They need to have an established trust system. It is always a mistake to have a Chow that is dependent on a single person. Horror stories abound of people who get a Chow as a single person and then move to a family. The Chow can resent the change and may not react well. Chows are best with stable environments, where they are introduced to multiple situations and types of people as pups.

I would not recommend this arrangement. If you were to come to me as a customer for a pup, I would not commit to selling a pup to you. I don't think any responsible breeder would. It's not going to be a good situation for the dog, and I don't think you would have a good experience either.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Brisco, its harder for a dog to end up in a shelter because of your numerous maybes. Your dogs CHOSE to stay outside they were not limited there. You got a Chow even if your wife didn't want a dog? It's your house too so you can do what you want. NO9 has to abide by Her or his parent's rules. My concern is the dog's well being and quality of life. Not because every child is entitled to have a dog. If parents decide the dog has to go, it does! Then you wash your hands and say.. oh they can be aggressive when not socialized so watch out for that. Will NO9 have all the time to socialize the dog while it is limited outside? You are setting this dog up for failure. Twisting the words without knowing? DO YOU KNOW THEIR SITUATION THEN? Obviously not. Do not accuse me of things you are guilty of.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Saying " maybe" is not twisting anyones words. Stating a fact about about getting NO support from the parents (as you did)based on the fact that they don't want a dog inside is. They obviously don' t mind that the family get a dog.

I'll let you have the last word if you feel like arguing about what you said instead of simply trying to give some friendly advise that most members are probably smart enough to read through the lines and decide what they can get out of the answers as I just wanted to give some positive feed back and not just discourage. I'll end this here and won't continue back and forth.we are all allowed our own thoughts.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Unless you are going to completely embrace this dog as a member of the family, please do not subject a chow to a life outdoors. They do not like the heat and our chows want to be with us. I wouldn't have it any other way.