Males fighting

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Males fighting

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi everyone, have been away for a long time. We have now five Chows we added Kion to Simba,Nala, Sally and Joey.
Kion is now about eight months old, he had developed a rather bad skin infection involving his testicles. Now he is in full adolescence. Marking everywhere and challenging Joey, my alpha, every step of the way.
Had several fights, but luckily Joey is showing great restrain and only deflects Kions attacks, so no serious injuries as of now. I'm able to separate them and will have Kion castrated as soon as possible.
I'm taking both on fast walks together to tire them up, but it's no guarantee.
I can only have them together with muzzles and me around.
Anyone some experience with a growing male challenging the alpha and was able to solve the issue.
Appreciate any advise
My three boys
My three boys
IMG_3924.JPG (111.9 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
Joey
Joey
IMG_3925.JPG (96.29 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
Kion
Kion
IMG_3926.JPG (91.98 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
Best regards
Pinoy51
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Males fighting

Post by kitten1426 »

Hopefully when he gets fixed it will help when we got Kodi our Chow he and our Collie they would fight after we had the collie fixed it stopped...they seem ok with each other even to this day 5 years later although Kodi does try to push shelbys buttons LOL....we just tell kodi STOP and he does...NOW kodi would always play or well tease our Female chow Mia she was ALPHA they got into a couple could tiffs...even got a few knicks both of them...i think Kodi is more of a clown and wanted to play and MIA wanted nothing to do with it at times..She is gone now...she passed away the day after thanksgiving she wasnt even 6 yet she had developed stomach Cancer nothing we could do for her... :( but we also have 2 Airedales Bear and Moose and they do not get along at all...they are always seperated its sad but thats how we have to deal with it...Bear is best friends with Kodi tho and Moose loves them all well except for Bear...LOL....i hope you get things sorted out... keep us updated ....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Chance, my male chow is 3. He is solid as a rock. Nobody or nothing shake him. But, our 18 month old male Rottweiler (Drake) tries to challenge him from time to time. They are great outside together, but I have to keep them separated in the house. Things get snarky when they are trying to get love from me. I take mine on individual walks with me. That way they each get one on one time and there are no pressures. I have had to break up a fight. Chance chilled out instantly when I yelled, but Drake locked on and refused to back down. This was my wake-up call to keep them apart in the house.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

There are a couple things you could try, but males together may just decide that they don't want to get along. In that case, I would follow Cindy's comment that they just need to be separated. I separate my males completely when I am not home and don't take the chance. Overall I think they like each other, but sometimes a violation of personal space can set off my older male.

Since both my males are Show dogs, they travel together. Side by Side in their crates they are fine. In the Show Ring, they can actually get distracted looking around to see what the other is doing. That is my clue that they don't actually dislike each other. At home, they are of course competing for attention and space.

As you have had some luck walking them together, its a good sign. I would continue that in the house. Keep them on lead. Have them sit side by side on lead at your feet when home. You can control their interaction easily by stepping on the leashes with each foot. Then try to have them perform basic training commands...sit, lie, etc. At 1st you are simply distracting them. Reward as you would during normal training. Keep them a foot or so apart and focused on getting rewarded. This helps them to learn to behave within proximity to each other.

Once that is fairly comfortable, switch it up a bit. Have Dog1 sit. Reward Dog2. Change the rotation. This is pretty common with training hunting dogs. They learn to rely on each other for the benefit of the pack.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

@Rory's dad
Thanks I think your approach can work. Kion just is recovering from his castration. Everything went fine and this Sunday I will have him joining the others again.
Last night I had an incident as he sneaked out of the door behind me and ended up in front of Joey. Just before I was able to step between them Kion started another round of aggression. I was able to break it up just by pulling back.
Which I can consider an improvement. Also marking has nearly stopped already.
All I need now is to install positive encounters when this two are together. Will Start Sunday and report progress.
I hope I can avoid separation, just not nice for everyone.
Thanks again to all, appreciate every feedback.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Joey got so big!!! Your kion is gorgeous as well. Of course they have to measure up to gorgeous Simba for me who will stay my favorite. Any new Sally photos? Really want to see how she looks now.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

This is rather normal activity. When ShenLung 85lbs was growing up with his sister FengHuang 65lbs he always challenged her, even though she was Supreme Ruler of the Known Universe and would remind anyone who thought otherwise. It was violent, but over quickly usually, and the outcome was never in doubt. With FengHuang’s passing, along came The FuShiLu, and once she turned 3 and had grown to 65 lbs she didn’t take any more crap. They love each other but everyone has a cranky day, forgets the boss is in the room, yadda, yadda. These wonderful critters are not week minded it is part of their charm, that means a head butt moment now and again.
adelec04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by adelec04 »

Cindy J wrote:Chance, my male chow is 3. He is solid as a rock. Nobody or nothing shake him. But, our 18 month old male Rottweiler (Drake) tries to challenge him from time to time. They are great outside together, but I have to keep them separated in the house. Things get snarky when they are trying to get love from me. I take mine on individual walks with me Monte escalier électrique. That way they each get one on one time and there are no pressures. I have had to break up a fight. Chance chilled out instantly when I yelled, but Drake locked on and refused to back down. This was my wake-up call to keep them apart in the house.
I have a little chow chow that I particularly like and I prefer to keep it at home rather than let it drag along with the other big ones in the course.