HELP! How to introduce a new puppy of a different breed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bernardopina
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP! How to introduce a new puppy of a different breed

Post by bernardopina »

Hi, people! Couple months after I married my wife, we got a chow puppy named Joey. He is 8 years now, and have always bene a wonderful companion to us (we are also low energy, as he is). The only problem we had with Joey was that when he turned 2, he started to became agressive towards people that walked in front of our front door. Vet recommended that if we castrate him, this behaviour would considerably lower. So we did. And it worked. Now, Joey is not agressive at all and behaviours just like a regular reserved and charming chow.

Ok. Now we have kids. Two of them. One 3 years old and another 2 years old. Chows are not much into kids, and Joey is not different. But what's been nice is that Joey taught them to respect dogs, and being reserved didnt stop my kids of loving him. =) But now, me and my wife want to provide a different dog experience to our kids, and we are thinking about bring a Golden Retriever puppy to our lives.

Now... What concerns me is about the puppy's safety. I've read some places telling that chows don't like other dogs. I've also read thar chows are just reserved towards other dogs just like they are with different people as well. Well, we had the opportunity to bring other dogs here a couple of times and Joey: or played with them or completely ignored them.

So...

1) Is it safe to bring a puppy from another breed? The breed makes any difference?
2) Does it make difference to bring a male or female?
3) Is there a better way do this and improve chances of them liking each other?

Need some thoughts on this. Thank you a lot!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: HELP! How to introduce a new puppy of a different breed

Post by JasonandNat »

We have two chowlings, we foster rescue chows and babysit many neighbourhood fur kids when their parents go away for holiday. Nobody died yet, everyone became friends, played rough, yelped, played more. I really don't think a problem exists outside you. If your stressed yours will be and that will bring isdues to bear. Haha, that was funny. Your are properly socialized, right?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We have introduced a chow x golden to our chow. They are not the same *Censored Word* and are best of friends. We have also brought a rottweiler puppy into our home. Our chow plays with him from time to time but mostly watches while the chow mix plays with the rottweiler. My chow thinks the rottie has too much energy... But their are no behavior issues
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Chow pup grew up with an Airedale a collie and a female chow they all were raised together..a few years ago we got anothe Airedale Pup our 2 chows were fine with him..even when he would annoy them...lol...Our male would growl to let him know he didnt wamt to be bothered so it should work out for you...just keep an close eye on them...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Here they were a few years ago before we had the other Airedale... also our female chow has since passed she was not even 6 ...and this was at least 3 years ago...Kodi was a baby yet he is way bigger...lol
Attachments
20140417_064611.jpg
20140417_064611.jpg (191.88 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida