Cream chow chow nose colour

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Y.Saridzic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cream chow chow nose colour

Post by Y.Saridzic »

My 8 months old cream chow chow nose is turning half pink and I believe eventually it will become more pink than black.
I have heard there is supplement to take to prevent / restore the colour on her nose Image??? Is that true ? If so, do you know what it is and where i can get it ? I'm not from the US so best if it's available on an online shop. Thanks a ton
Here is a photo of Miss Sassy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Cream chow chow nose colour

Post by Annabellam »

Miss Sassy is adorable! I did not know there is a supplement like that. Anyway, i know that there are several reasons the original colour could fade. First and most common reason is the weather - the nose may fade to pink during winter and get back to black during summer. Other reasons are health related. It is important to apply sunscreen for sun protection if it is pink. On health matters think it's important to get to the bottom of this. Let the vet carry out some tests to rule out health issues.
Y.Saridzic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Y.Saridzic »

Hi Anna, thanks for your advise. If it is health issue what should we look at ? We did ask our Vet about the discolouring but he wasn't concern at all. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

It is normal for cream chows noses to turn pink as they grow into adulthood. If you notice even their paw pads and whiskers are pink or light colored. Cream chows lack pigment hence their coloring. It is very rare for a cream chow to retain the dark nose they are born with. Your baby does not have any sickness. As far as I know there is no supplement to darken the nose.
In fact, that is why some people in my country choose Cream Chows. They like the pink nose and paw pads and the absence of anything black on them. It makes them look so clean.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Constantina is correct. It is not a medical reason. It is simply a lack of pigment in the cream gene. Very few Cream Chows carry the black nose and mouth to adulthood. And those that do are very desirable to breeders.

To my knowledge, there are no supplements that can help maintain the pigment. Some unethical breeders may suggest that there is, but most likely they are using something similar to shoe polish.