I reads that the coat color of a dog dictates his behavior.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

I reads that the coat color of a dog dictates his behavior.

Post by Shane »

I read a book by Dr Bruce Fogle a praticing veterinarian, that the coat of a dog can predict his behavior.

I read it and with my experience it is quite true with me. He said black coated dogs are likely to be more obedient. I have two chows a red sable male 3 years and a black male 2 years. I would only have to speak to the black one once so he could come inside. Sometimes the red sable would come in on one call but I usually have to go behind him so he could come inside.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have a Black Chow, she listens when she wants, if she has made up her mind she wants to stay out or walk in the direction she wants or disagrees with something she will stand there and argue with us with her Chow grunts and moans, if that doesn't work she will just lay down and refuse to move. The red Chows in here seem much more disciplined then my black chow, The owners of the other then black Chows in here don't seem to have the troubles with Vets and groomers like I do with Pekoe, but my Chow is extremely spoiled, she rarely hears the word no and we let her get away with alot that other owners probably wouldn't tolerate so that might have a lot to do with her behavior.

When I see different colored Chows at dog parks or out in public the red and blue Chows seem more disciplined and refined then the black, the black Chows all seem to be more adventurous, running around more and getting into trouble. It might just be I pay more attention to the black Chows and notice thier behavior more then the others.

Post by Guest »

Mr. Nahkohe is a cream Chow. As for commands, calling him, etc. - the most we get is a sideways glance which seems to be saying "I am ignoring you"...then when he feels like it, he will meander over because it was his idea. When it's time for bed, I only have to say "good night" about 10 times as he circles around the room ignoring me. Then - as though a bell rings - he turns and trots off to bed...again his idea.

Shiloh is a mix - part red Chow perhaps...She never listens, obeys, or acknowledges our commands or calls unless she is going to get something out of it - a walk or a nice treat...otherwise, it's a huff and we see the back end of her while she trots away. I'm sure that the neighbors get a good laugh at night when they watch me chasing her with a flashlight from one end of the yard to the other trying to get her inside. I give up and go inside and wait. About 5-10 minutes later she trots in...again her idea.

In our case, the color of the Chow doesn't make a difference - just us the owners who haven't been able to convince these two that they should be more obedient....

Karen

Post by Guest »

I have a Red chow - she listens to me, but not to my husband. When he asks her to come in, she ignores him. He comes and finds me so that I can ask her to come in, which she usually does right away! I guess she knows that I am more stubborn than her, and there is no point arguing! HA HA! My husband calls us his two peas.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel are what I think you over The Pond would call Cinnamon - we say they are red.
They are the most disobedient (dogs) Chows. We have never had such disobedience from our Danes and our Boxer!! :D
When Fred calls them in, they ignore him totally - they don't even hear him. He too, comes for me to get them in and then they come in straight away.
However, when we are out for a walk in the park, if they want to sit or lay down to watch the ducks and swans on the park lake, they do just that and there is no moving them! :lol:
In fact, they plan and run their little lives just exactly as they wish!
And, I wouldn't have them any different!
As I type, Milly is poking me to go out - to spend a penny? I think not! :wink:
Let us face it - it is 22.39 - time for hedgehog hunting! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan is a cream, with a pink nose. He's got a CGC and a CD; listens to myself, my husband, the cat, the child, and on occasion, the rottie. He will do whatever my mother asks of him, but I think that is because she makes him meatballs whenever he sees her. Now, if I throw a ball, he will look at me as if to say, "Hey, you lost your ball... it's over there I think"; I think it all comes down to what you are asking him to do and nothing to do with color.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Max-A-Million is a cream Chow mix. If I ask him to do anything, he will give me a look that says, "Hhrumph!! What's in it for me!?". We are still working on the come command so when I want him to come into the house, I must go into the yard and walk his highness back to the house.

Mahayana is a red Chow. She will not do anything she doesn't feel like doing. Treat or no treat, walk or no walk, play or no play...it doesn't matter...if she doesn't want to do it, she won't. If you continue to bother her, she will get and walk away (as a punishment to us).

I will admit, they are sooooooo spoiled.

Elaina, Max-A-Million, and Mahayana
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Zhu is cream and Miss PB is red/cinnamon and they are both very obedient. They do everything I ask, when I ask. They come when I say come or make their come here sound (each has their own). They move when I say move. They are both very patient and when I whisper or talk quietly to them, I get whatever it is I've whispered or asked them. So, in my household of chows, I don't think that part of the color theory works. HOWEVER, Zhu doees have a more laid-back, blonde, easy going, life's a beach, surfer dude type of personality and likes low key attention. Then again he's a senior, when he was younger, he was a head turner and got oodles of attention! Miss PB on the otherhand definitely has a "firey red-head" assertiveness to her. She wants to be noticed! I think if she were human, she might be a rock-star groupie.

This was a nice topic to bring up, Shane!

Karen, funny... I have a flashlight for those evening outings too!