Male or female as second dog (puppy)?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nas7232
Rank 0
Rank 0

Male or female as second dog (puppy)?

Post by nas7232 »

Hi i have a fully intact french bulldog 11 months old and getting a chow chow puppy after extensive research. I was thinking of getting a female but this will cause work problems when she becomes in heat and i need to use all annual leave to keep them seperated. Its been suggested a male chow chow coming in as a puppy wouldnt be an issue. Has anyone got unneauted males together of where the dogs came into the home as seperate puppies and how was it? I dont want any substantial risk or dog to dogaggression. Ive always had male and female and its been grande. Ps i wouldnt want to neut a male btw. Thanks
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Male or female as second dog (puppy)?

Post by Laura »

I always say get the opposite *Censored Word* when it comes to Chows. I would also neuter/spay both. You don't plan to breed them so for obvious future health reasons and to prevent accidental pregnancies (both inhouse and the random neighborhood accidents), I can't imagine why you would need to keep them intact beyond 1 year of age/development. It is no picnic trying to prevent pregnancy every few months and dealing with the associated behaviors.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
nas7232
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nas7232 »

If i get a female chow she'll be sprayed but i dont plan on getting my male french bulldog neuted ever. Has anyone had a second male chow as puppy and was there any problems? Thanka
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

I'm trying to be 'nice', but your statements imply issues beyond others to help. We don't know what kind of person you really are, specifically calm, so you can be the best Chow Chow owner possible. But not neutering the current fur kid is asking for issues, so why bother putting pressure on two fur kids?
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

agreed, neuter your male and bring in a neutered female. In my experience, females tend to wiggle their way into being the boss but that has not been an issue in either of the male/female pairs I've lived with.
Please please rescue!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

well, I guess I can weigh in from the other end of the universe. I currently have 3 Chows in the house. 2 males,1 female. All are unaltered. I will probably have my female fixed in the near future since she has had a few health issues and behavioral quirks recently that I do not want to risk in a breeding.

However, I show my dogs. The males are both AKC Champions, with the older male just short of achieving his GCH status. They are 5 years old and 2 years old. First off, they are my pets and I love them to death. They each have qualities that are exceptional to the breed, and I do intend to carry those traits into future generations of Chows. That is why they are shown, to demonstrate those qualities. Obviously, there was a plan with our girl, but I have concerns there and won't risk putting her shortfalls into a litter.

So, all of that being said. Back to the original question...if you have no intention of breeding the dogs, then it is best to have them altered. It is overall healthier for them and will most likely temper the behavior.

BTW, it also shouldn't be an issue to separate a male Frenchie. Gates and Crates provide ample protection. I wouldn't recommend another male. Their most certainly would be competition amongst them, and a male Chow would dominate a male Frenchie. Probably not with pretty results.
nas7232
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nas7232 »

It appears my comment wasnt read properly. My male is a french bulldog not a chow. The risk of anaesthesia on this breed and change in personality isnt worth it imo. Its more unhealthy to have a male french bulldog altered than not..im here to get a companion for him not make life difficult for.him
Ive always had unneuated male.dogs and sprayed females.

Thanks for the replies though but natandjason your comment is abnoxious. Evident you never read my post properly. I have my chow coming soon and opted for neuted female.
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Happy New Year to all! In keeping with the sentiment that we have a "clean slate" at the beginning of the year, I want our forum to stay respectful to each other. Let's keep our opinions of other's posts polite. We're here because we love Chows, and want to share our experiences and adventures with them in a hostile free environment. If we don't agree with someone's post, let's just state we disagree. I learn something new everytime I go to this site, and want to continue enjoying and loving this site. Again, best wishes to all for a happy, healthy New Year!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Nas, I don't think I read your post incorrectly. I completely understand the risk of anesthesia and surgery to a Frenchie. Chows have similar risks as I would guess do other breeds. I probably wasn't real clear in my intention on my response.

I don't think a male Frenchie imposes much of a risk to a female Chow. Altered or not. I would just make sure that you have separation fixtures available whenever the female comes into heat. On the other hand, two males will likely have some territorial issues regardless of breed, but the Chow would have an unfair advantage there. I would avoid that if possible.

I do currently have 2 male chows. They mostly get along, but have their moments. It has nothing to do with training. They are both extremely well trained and have not doubt about who is the 'pack leader'. They are simply male dogs with testosterone and will compete at times for position and for favor with the female in the house.

AND...you are completely within your right to respond to a post in which you feel slighted. I have reread several times and not sure if Chunky was commenting on Nats post or your response to it.
Drakhtul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Drakhtul »

nas7232 wrote:If i get a female chow she'll be sprayed but i dont plan on getting my male french bulldog neuted ever. Has anyone had a second male chow as puppy and was there any problems? Thanka
So, could there be a problem having 2 male chow chows? I have 1 male chow chow and 1 male american staffordshire terrier and they accept each other.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

[quote=So, could there be a problem having 2 male chow chows? I have 1 male chow chow and 1 male american staffordshire terrier and they accept each other.[/quote]

Yes there can be problems with same gender full blood chows. Males or females. Even though there are success stories there are plenty of unsuccessful stories as well. I lived it (nightmare!) and will never have 2 of the same genders again.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

There can be problems with any dogs, even more so with multiple dogs of the same *Censored Word*. Quite honestly, you just never know. Dogs are of course pack animals, and they compete for position. Even with strong leadership, they can try to 1 up each other. Frequently that involves arguments, after all they can't get the bigger house or the fancier car to show off. When you get into breeds that are more assertive, then the likelihood of a problem gets multiplied. When they are on 'even' ground its even worse.

That's not to say they can't get along, but the odds go down with each scenario. You could end up with 2 dogs that simply like each other and are not competitive.