General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jessezze
Rank 0
Rank 0

Idenfying Rough/Smooth

Post by Jessezze »

Hello!

I am soon to be Chow chow owner and would like to know if it's possible to identify Rough or Smooth coat from pictures!

Here is Pablo he is a bit over 2 weeks now (2weeks 2 days) and would like to know if there are any experts that can Identify rough or smooth! thx in advance

Last edited by Jessezze on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Idenfying Rough/Smooth

Post by Cam Atis »

Not an expert on this but check out this link http://www.xin-feng.nl/en/550e-chowcoat.html

I would prefer a smooth coated chow than a rough one. I don't do shows. If you do show, you'll be better off with a rough coat. they win most of the time (I guess)
Jessezze
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jessezze »

Should have probably clarified that both of his parents are Rough coated but then again neither of his parents is white.

More pictures
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cam thinks that smooth coated means cooler for his region (ok, i'm assuming a lot there, but that's my best guess). Just to debunk that a bit, my smooth chow overheated last summer at a show when the other 2 were fine. I think its more related to the breathing pattern. Once the smooth got a bit hot, he panicked and couldn't regulate his panting to cool himself off.

He ended up in an ice bath.

As for the CREAM chow pup. It's a bit early in the photos, but I think she will be rough coated. On a side note though, the pigment in the nose is pretty nice for a CREAM. Looks like he will be a nice dog.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh well that is a misunderstanding Rory's Dad. I was stumped when the OP replied something about coat color.

Smooth = short haired
Rough = long haired

Both has what we call double coat though.
Jessezze
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jessezze »

Over 3 weeks now!

kodnercasey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kodnercasey »

I was told that when they are born, roughs have almost no fur and it looks shiny and smooth. The smooths have fur and very quickly they look like they will when grown. It doesn't take them about a year to grow their adult hair. My smooth has looked mostly in all photos from 20 wks to 9 months (this week).
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We had an inbetweener...lol she was not full rough and not full smooth...i can post pictures if you would like to see...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida