Chow fur

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow fur

Post by Hades&Titan »

My chow puppie is almost 4 months now and his fur covers his eyes quite a bit andi feel like he cant see properly . We regulary brush him and pull it away from his eyes. Is this normal and will he grow into it ?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow fur

Post by Cindy J »

Can you post some pictures to give us an idea of how he looks?
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hades&Titan »

He looks dirty because he had been outside playing but it always falls in front of his eyes . he has staples which you can see under his eyes as he has entropian. i just feel like he doesnt see properly and i know not to cut there fur
Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hades&Titan »

sorry it wont let me upload a photo ?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

It's fairly common for Chows with a more 'closed' facial structure to have this issue. Since he already has had an entropion issue, I am guessing that is more likely his overall structure.

That is also the reason you will see so many of us encouraging 'how to correctly approach a Chow' in the socialization questions. Those tufts of mane and the structure around the eye sockets reduce the peripheral vision. They don't see people approaching from the sides and that can startle them, sometimes leading to a nip. Make sure you approach from the front and low. This will give your Chow the most opportunity to see approaches. Alternatively you can practice a 'click' approach, where you announce with a sound.
Hades&Titan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hades&Titan »

Yeah he doesnt like people approaching him he tends to run away and usually doesnt notice its me so i have to speak to him for him to realise when we are out . But were getting him use to that and warning people he doesnt like it :) thanks you :)
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

If you feel that the excess fur around his eye's is irritating him at all then I don't see any harm in having it trimmed a little by your groomer.
My Chow isn't a super fluffy Chow, but he has monthly visits to his groomers where they trim up round his feet, his bum and inside his ears. They only use grooming scissors and not the clippers! Chow's cannot be clipped, because of their double coat!!
My Chow gets really irritated by the hair in his ears and frequently shakes his head if it gets too long, so I have no hesitation in allowing his groomers to trim it up so he feels comfortable :)