Heartworm treatment

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Heartworm treatment

Post by ski »

We just adopted a gentle male chow. He was found on the streets. Our most pressing issue is he is heartworm positive. The rescue had him on pill therapy but our vet has recommended treatment by injection. I am so worried about him. I hear the treatment is harsh with side effects. She is recommending three treatments over months.
Has anyone had experience with heartworm?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Heartworm treatment

Post by Cam Atis »

The treatment is NOT harsh and IT has no side effects at all. I recommend you listen to the veterinarian. This kind of treatment can be as long as 6 months. Then you maintain oral tablets every month from thence
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

OMG! How can you say the treatment is not harsh? Arsenic is injected in their back to kill the worms in their hearts. Heartworm treatment is very hard and very painful but, must be done.
How is he doing?
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Sargeant completed his heartworm treatment a few weeks ago. I was so concerned about the effects but I trust my vet and wanted the best for Sarge. He is doing great. With the exception of being a little groggy after the treatment, he had no ill effects. Before the treatment he was panting, which was a major concern. After the treatment, the panting has stopped. Looking forward to many years ahead with the "Sargeant"!