General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow hates the vet

Post by jaydfreeman »

Hello!

My Chow turned 2 years old in July. As a puppy he loved going to see the vets, but when he was about 1 year old he sadly had an accident whilst he was playing outside and his dew claw was hanging off and bleeding! I immediately took him to the emergency vet and they said it needed removing.
The vet tried to pull it off without anaesthetic just to discover it was more attached than they initially thought, therefore it really hurt him :-x
Ever since, he has been petrified of going to the vets. He gets very worked up and tries to bite anyone that comes near him except for myself. The vets require him to now be muzzled which infuriates him even more.

Its now a issue to even get his booster jabs!

Has anyone else got a Chow thats scared of the vets? If so, how do you work round it?

Thanks!
kingalls

Re: My Chow hates the vet

Post by kingalls »

Chows never forget! Have you tried another vet? Does he have the same reaction with another vet?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

I registered him at a new vet last week and took him in just to have a friendly introduction with a new veterinary nurse, who was very lovely and patient with him.
I plan to take him for a check up next week, but its whenever the vet comes close to him to do something such as an injection when he gets grumpy and tries to bite :(
I would like to get him castrated as I've been advised this will help his situation with other dogs randomly attacking him, but its a catch 22 situation as the vet has told me that following his operation any future trips to the vet will be harder.

Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Hi Jaydfreeman, sorry to hear about that traumatic experience for your pup. Is he food motivated?
Moose is scared at the vet too. First off we do the whole exam, vaccines etc on the floor. I never put him on the table. The vet gets down on the floor to examine him which we really appreciate. Next tons of treats! The vet assistant and the vet give him lots to get him a bit warmed up. Even with this though he won't let them touch his face or anything. But he at least relaxes a bit. Then after lots of treats from the "strangers," I take over the treats. I get Moose's attention and the vet examines him from behind. I treat with one hand and hold one arm around his body just in case he tries anything funny. Usually he will tip his head back slight when he feels the vet giving the vaccines or the thermometer in his you know, but then he quickly refocuses on me and the treats. I keep treating him through the exam, injections etc. This works well for us since he is super food motivated. For the teeth, I have to be the one to open his mouth and show the teeth though. I hope your chow is food motivated too.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

p.s. they usually start with tossing the treats to him and slowly toss the treat closer and closer until he is eating it off the floor by their side and then eventually out of their hand. I'm thankful for a very patient and understanding vet.
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

Hello!

Thank you for the advise! I'm glad Moose is getting better in the vets with the help of treats :)
Unfortunately Mr Chow isnt interested in food whenever he's outside of the house. I've never been able to train him with the use of treats! The only time a treat persuades him is to come inside the house.
I will keep trying! :)

Thanks
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

Dogs have very good memory. They can recollect the feelings they had once they come to that same place even after months! It is not an exception to your Chow. I need to force my dog to come to see the vet, as it hates the vet too.
I love Chow Chow :P
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Aww sorry to hear that he is not very food motivated.
jmoreton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jmoreton »

We have 2 chows that don't like going to the vet. Our little girl was traumatized by a vet that was scared of chows. The vet even put in her records that she was aggressive. Now we drive 50 miles to our old vet. Now our girl will pee in the vet's office because she gets so scared. Our vet now works with her to calm her down but she still hates going to the vet.Our littlest boy hates going just because he has had several health issues in his young 18 month life. He has had surgery for elbow dysplasia on both elbows. Now he has to have surgery for a torn ligament in his knee. You have to find a vet that is not scared of chows and will work with your chow to help get them over their fear.