General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kjcowan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question About Interacting With A Chow

Post by kjcowan »

Hello All,

I would like to start by acknowledging the level of expertise exhibited throughout many of the posts that I have read. The practical advice I have gained through this site is invaluable.

I do not have a Chow yet, but (after a tremendous amout of research and contemplation) I believe that the Chow is the dog for me. However, before I get seriously into finding a pup, I would like to ask a question. I have had low vision since birth (am 52 now) and am not able to see detail and long distances. I have no problem getting around; I just can’t drive or focus on small objects. I have raised puppys in the past and have had a number of different pets (including dogs) throughout my life. However, as I have read and spoken with people about the Chow breed, I have noticed a fare amount of emphasis being placed on the owners ability to establish eye contact in order to effectively monitor the dogs reaction(s) to everything from affection to correction. I would really like to hear what many of you have to say about this. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I want to make sure that the breed that I go with is going to be the best match for my abilities, lifestyle and living environment.
Thanks in advance.
Kent
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Question About Interacting With A Chow

Post by Cam Atis »

If you do not need a seeing dog or a guide dog, and if you just need a companion dog who will protect you from intruders, and do not need a lap dog, Chows are for you. They generally keep to themselves, but will stay with you and would not mind if you forget about him being there. They would always greet you by blocking your way to get your attention.
Montecar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Question About Interacting With A Chow

Post by Montecar »

you need to socialize them with everyone. I was raised with chows all my life and raised them with my children.