General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kjcowan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question

Post by kjcowan »

Hello All,
I would like to start by acknowledging the level of expertise exhibited throughout many of the posts that I have read. The practical advice I have gained through this site is invaluable.
I do not have a Chow yet, but (after a tremendous amount of research and contemplation) I believe that the Chow is the dog for me. However, before I get seriously into identifying a good breeder I would like to ask a question. I have had low vision since birth (am 52 now) and am not able to see detail and long distances. I have no problem getting around; I just can’t drive or focus on small objects. I have raised puppies in the past and have had a number of different pets (including dogs) throughout my life. However, as I have read and spoken with people about the Chow breed, I have noticed a fair amount of emphasis being placed on the owners’ ability to establish eye contact in order to effectively monitor the dogs’ reaction(s) to everything from affection to correction. I would really like to hear what many of you have to say about this. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I want to make sure that the breed that I go with is going to be the best match for my abilities, lifestyle and living environment.
Thanks in advance!
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Question

Post by Brisco »

I don't believe that your poor vision would affect your relationship or training with a Chow or any other breed for that matter. Dogs especially Chows are smart, they can sense things and pick up on things that you'd be amazed at. I find that a dogs body language is more telling than there eyes when it comes to there reactions to things. I have always been one to remove my sunglasses when trying to get to know a strange dog but many people always wear them and don't usually seem to have a problem. I feel better myself letting them see me, I do this with all animals especially horses and birds. There are plenty of blind people that have beautiful relationships with animals and they have never had the privilege of looking them in the eye. If you've done your research and still think that a Chow is right for you then just go for it and you will fall in love with them just like the rest of us have.

Matt
No matter where you go, there you are.
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Question

Post by jaydfreeman »

Hello

I agree with the above post!
I bought my first Chow 2 and a half years ago and I couldn't imagine having any other breed!
As I'm sure you've seen, Chow's tend to feel that they only have one dominant owner, which has personally been the case for me and my pup!
I never consciously focussed any attention on eye contact with my Chow, however he got to know my personality very quickly.
Whenever I am sad, he senses my tone of voice and immediately comes to sit as close as possible! (adorable)
As long as your Chow is able to get the training and attention he/she requires I am sure you won't regret your decision!
My chow is the best companion!

Good luck :)