Things don't always work out the way you plan them but its okay. :)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

essennvee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Things don't always work out the way you plan them but its okay. :)

Post by essennvee »

Hi everyone, this is my first post and let me tell you my situation...

So I made a deposit for a puppy back in March of this year (2016) and the breeder was telling me that the litter would be ready in August. I wanted a male rough coat. When I contacted the breeder again in late May early June for any updates, I found out that he was having health issues and as a result he wasn't able to breed the dogs in the appropriate window. I told him it was no problem, life gets to us and that I would wait for the next litter. I'm patient, I've been waiting 4 years, what can another few months do to me? So the next breeding window comes around and the dogs get their groove on and are able to get pregnant, this litter was born this week. To my dismay, none of the puppies in the litter were male rough coats.

I knew that there would be no guarantee of getting what I wanted but just the fact that there were no male rough coated chows at all kind of broke my heart. Things don't always work out the way we plan them to but now I'm okay. I was pretty upset about this at first but I've had time to think about it some more and to me, its kind of God's way of saying, "Not yet, something/someone better for you will come." So I guess this is my way of saying, sometimes things don't play out how we expect them to but it's okay. One door closes, another one opens. And another door has definitely opened and I think for the better. :) Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Last edited by essennvee on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I'm really sad, please help. (Breeder situation)

Post by 612guy »

I know how hard it is to wait for a puppy. I'm not talking days but months. We had to wait over 6 months for Spartacus and were very lucky there was a red male pup from a cream mom and a black dad. Having litters with all girl happen because I know 2 breeders that had them, one with 6 and the other 4. Part of the reason I started showing Brutus was to met breeders because 5 years ago it was hard to find him.

I think it possible to get a very nice pup for $1000 but may take awhile and have to pick it up in person. So I must ask where do you live? Then maybe I can help. Please tell us if you ever had a chow before and more information about yourself. I know breeders want their pups to go to good home so it's important.

Brutus
essennvee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by essennvee »

Thank you 612guy for your support, it means a lot! A little bit about me, I live in Kansas and am a recent college graduate and I have a house with a fenced in backyard. I was waiting to get a chow until I graduated and so I've been holding off on getting a chow for 4 years :lol: I myself have never owned a chow before but I have had dogs before, labs and pitbulls. I know it's not the same, but I am ready to learn. I've been doing so much research and immersing myself in chow and dog knowledge - helps that I also teach kids about animal behavior, therapy animals, and service animals. I don't work full time so I do have the time available to appropriately raise a chow chow.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I am sorry you feel that way. But puppies are not born into this world tailored-fit to our preferences or wishes as if they can be designed. The advance deposit you made cannot guarantee that also. You are naive by believing the breeder when he promised you a male rough coat pup. How else will he know if there would be males born to that bitch?
Dogs are not merchandise you can choose and buy. Some would dispose their dogs just like that for the simple reason , the dog did not lived up to their expectations
essennvee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by essennvee »

It's been a while since this happened and I came to realise that it was God's way of saying, "Not yet". So I'm just waiting. I agree with you Cam, I shouldn't have gone in with expectations when there was a possibility of it not happening. Dogs aren't merchandise, they're living beings and deserve more than to be treated like objects - never my intentions either way. I'm just going to see what will come my way, thanks for any advice y'all have given.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Things don't always work out the way you plan them but its okay. :)

Post by ski »

I lost our rough coat chow, Loki, this summer. I was absolutely devastated. He was a rescue and he was such a handsome and proud dog. For a brief moment I thought about purchasing a puppy but I couldn't do it in good conscience. I searched for months and found another chow to love. Maybe the answer is an entirely different direction. There are even pure bred puppies that new homes.
essennvee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by essennvee »

Oh Ski, I'm so sorry. I have been reading posts from this site for years and when I read about Loki the other day I was so sad. I had read so many posts about you and him that it broke my heart when I had learned about his passing. So glad that you were able to find another chow to love <3
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I never thought I could find another chow to love but there was a chow needing a home and we needed that chow. We drive 1500 miles to get him and it was worth every mile. He is already great pals with our older chow, Frisco. Our home seems "right" again!!
essennvee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by essennvee »

No problem at all Ski, just sharing the love :) I think it's amazing that love can find us no matter how far away, even if it's 1500 miles haha! I went with some friends to get their puppy and the drive was totally worth it, I love being a puppy aunt lol
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I know this is a Chow Chow Forum and I love my rescued Chow Chow unconditionally BUT, as a dog lover, I'd like to remind anyone reading that there are millions of fabulous homeless dogs also waiting. Why wait? If you want to share your life with a dog, visit shelters & petfinders.com & find the dog that is out there waiting for you.