Help with getting two chow chows!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jveil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with getting two chow chows!

Post by jveil »

I am planning on getting a chow chow but want to get two of them, is this a good idea? I love the look and personality. However my only concern is there friendliness towards other dogs. I want to get two chow chows, that can live with my other two dogs part time, who are quite small (under 15lbs) Is this a good idea?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Help with getting two chow chows!

Post by Cam Atis »

If you have two dogs already (and what do you mean by "part-time"?), I would recommed to get JUST ONE(1) chow pup. Chow's temperament is not the same as most dog breeds, they wanted their own space most of the time. When they keep to themselves, they dont want other dogs to invade that space. There are chows which are exceptions , but how do you know if yours is "the" exception to the rule. To save you from heartache, get just one and not two.
Liking a dog/pup based on looks also is not the way to go if getting two of them.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Research Littermate syndrome. I was told by the breeder that I could get two chow pups if I wanted and they would be for free. I was really tempted but when I read littermate syndrome I changed my mind. The littermates with imprint on each other and not the master and one's progress will always be hindered because The more submissive will always defer to the more alpha dog. Maintaining a Chow is also very expensive as they are high risk for health problems so your vet bills will sore and you must be ready to buy Grain free Novel protein dog food as they are high risk for allergies and skin ailments as well. I only have one Chow but she is so high maintenence my vet bills are exhorbitant. Do i regret getting her? NO WAY. But I am glad I only picked one instead of two. That way i can devote all the time to her she needs for socialization, health monitoring, exercise and allergy care.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I have never tried two puppies at the same time because one is already a handful. I already had three dogs when I got my last puppy. She is now 14 weeks old and I am still keeping her away from the other dogs with short supervised one on one time with the others. She is still a bit nippy with the others and they don't always appreciate being a puppy chew toy. My other dogs are large. I worry that two puppies would torment the daylights out of small dogs. Your small dogs might bite back out of fear from the non stop puppy mouthing.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Not sure what some are suggesting, we had two siblings, yes they fought especially during the terrible two's, what siblings don't? When FengHuang passed away the breeder told us to watch ShenLung for signs of loneliness and despair. It took months to find FuShiLu whom he loved from the moment her little puppyness arrived. She has taken over the alpha role, pretty sure he doesn't like it, but as long as he isn't challenged he accepts it. I mention this as we also foster chows and baby sit a host of other dogs. Nobody died. Nobody even got hurt. Scared, sure. Roughed up a bit, yup. You are responsible for how your chow is raised, period. As for other people's dogs, ditto for them, anyone not in control and not taking responsibility needs to be introduced to your local by-law officer or police. The dogs with the rep always get blamed even though they a in the lowest category of attacks. Have you been near a chihuahua lately?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

If you have to ask, then I would say its a bad idea.

I too, question the part time issue. Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound ideal on any level.

Nobody died, and nobody got hurt is not an answer. Roughed up and scared isn't even an acceptable result.

If you absolutely feel you are ready to tackle two Chow pups, even from the same litter, I would recommend opposite *Censored Word* pups. But even then you will have obstacles to overcome. Unless you are a very experienced CHOW owner, do not introduce two same *Censored Word* Chows. You will have to exert control over just one with other dogs in the home. You will need to monitor constantly and quite likely separate them so no harm comes to any of the dogs. I have 2 males and a female, none siblings. They get along pretty well, but still can not be left unsupervised. Ever.