General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow Chow keeps getting attacked by other dogs

Post by jaydfreeman »

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem...

I have a male Chow Chow that has just turned 2 years old.
Every time we go on a walk and meet other dogs, he gets attacked by them!
The other dog seems to have a strong instinct to approach my dog and attempt to bite him.
Sadly there has been a couple of really vicious occasions, which means it's becoming increasingly difficult to walk him on my own out of fear that it will happen again!

My Chow Chow doesn't bother other dogs in the slightest and is very friendly with both people and animals so I cannot understand why he is so disliked by other dogs.

Can someone relate to this at all?!

Thanks!
Jayd
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My Chow Chow keeps getting attacked by other dogs

Post by FurParent »

I don't have any experience about this before! But why don't you change the location on your walk to keep unharm your dog.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

As you may have noted, Chows have a distinct smell. I have read that between the Chow Chow smell and the "tell tale" tail not being visible because it lies on their back versus a waving flag, other dogs do not like it and go on the offensive.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Yep..so true.Because they were original dogs,well,closer than others,they have that `predator` scent and other dogs attack out of fear.
As you may know,chows get blamed many times when there is a fight;unfairly,but because some uninformed people think they are ` vicious`,they get blamed.I wear a body cam..sounds extreme..when I am walking my dogs, but I am not having my chow punished for another dogs ..umm ,well,actions.
And there are many dogs with a `packed tail`,so I dont know if that is part of it or not.
mbradfordc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mbradfordc »

I've had the same experience with my three year old Chow as well! He has been bitten 4 times now completely out of the blue by other larger dogs and the owners of the dogs were completely shocked and said that they had never seen their dog do that before. Skyler (my chow) just whimpers and cries and doesn't even try to defend himself. It's so sad. I think other dogs are confused as to what he is :(
mbradfordc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mbradfordc »

I've had the same experience with my three year old Chow as well! He has been bitten 4 times now completely out of the blue by other larger dogs and the owners of the dogs were completely shocked and said that they had never seen their dog do that before. Skyler (my chow) just whimpers and cries and doesn't even try to defend himself. It's so sad. I think other dogs are confused as to what he is :(
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Wow really we have 2 chows and we have gone to different dog events and dog parks no one ever bothered them... you sure it isnt your reaction causing these dogs to react they do sense your feelings too... Honestly we had to stop bringing our one Chow because he would go after the other dogs not them going after him....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

That's strange. No dog has every really challenged much less attacked our chows. However this is not as much a dog issue as an owner issue. Report those people to your local by-law, they would screw you over in a heartbeat.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cassie is also being attacked randomly when I walk her, soo I always bring a stick with me for any unwanted attention. I dont walk her much. she is free to roam our fenced home.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We have had other dogs lunge at us - "fear biters". Thankfully their owner has them on a leash and they cannot reach us. Chance looks bewildered when this happens. He believes all dogs should have good manners. I have been told by a behaviorist that chows look intimidating to other dogs because of the hair sticking up on the back of their necks. I don't know if this is it or that they smell different. Maybe it is because chows hold their ground and do not turn away from other dogs who are giving them the evil eye....

No matter the reason, I would do whatever is necessary to keep my dogs safe. Including kicking another dog that got too close. Some use pepper spray, but I don't want to take a chance of some getting in my dogs face. I am lucky that most other people cross the street with their dog when they see us coming.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
dr.butcher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dr.butcher »

I've experienced the same issue with Charlie. A lot of dogs lunge at him, start barking furiously. Charlie tugs on his leash furiously barking back, but he never initiates it. This happens frequently. Except for 10-year old little Momo. They seem quite fond of each other. There's a lot of dog owners in my village and general area, so I just can't avoid them entirely, at least leaving the house and village.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I read a while ago that chow chows smell different - not like the ordinary smell and other dogs dont like it so they are aggresive or ignore chows.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

Thanks for all replies!

I have been told that castrating him may help the issues as other dogs wouldn't find my Chow so dominant. Has this worked for anyone else?
I feel bad that I cannot let my Chow off his lead for a run around in fear of him getting attacked.
I try to take him very early in the morning to avoid other walkers and l always have a fenced garden for him to roam around in all day.
Poor pup :( He loves other dogs!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We used to take our chow to a dog park no dog tried anything with him actually we had to put him back on a leash because he would go after other dogs... I really dont know if fixing him is going to help or not...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chows walk with a confidence and attitude that confuses other breeds. Not really sure about the smell, but I do know they don't get that 'wet dog' smell, so there may be something to that. I don't really think that fixing a dog will change it. So, if your dog is breeding quality, I wouldn't consider it. If he isn't, then there are a ton of other reasons to have him altered.
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

From my experiences, I always find that its bigger dogs that have an issue with my Chow. A while back two French Poodles approached him despite their owners command not to. They ganged up on him from both angles and tried to bite, but thankfully I had my father with me to hold them back from him, which resulted in him getting bitten instead. The owner apologised profusely and explained that they have never had an issue with any other dog before, which I've heard on a majority of occasions.
I find it scary to walk my Chow in any area's where other dogs are running free off their leads, because i don't get a chance to explain that the most friendly dog's still take a strong dislike to mine before a dog has run over and attacked.
My chow is very friendly with all other dogs, but is understandably losing his patience.
I am unsure about getting him fixed as he is terrified of the vets following a previous painful accident. I don't want to put him off the vets for life as I like to have regular health checks for him. The vet has advised me that his fixing op may make his visits to the vet worse as he will need one stingy anaesthetic injection instead of the more gentle two because he's already aggressive towards the vets.
Im not sure what to do for the best!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

LOL, probably not a big help, but as a Chow owner I have a strong dislike for French Poodles anyway. Just plain nasty dogs....LOL. And people complain that Chows don't listen. They should try a poodle. Absolutely obnoxious dogs with a bad attitude.

I really don't think having him altered is the answer to this issue. It may be advisable for other reasons, but it wont change his interactions with aggressive dogs. If he is well socialized, and it sounds like he is trying, he may just need more confidence.

I would start off by not allowing him off lead even if the other dogs are. He can get a lot of assurance from you. Let him see that you are protecting him. That is part of the pack leadership strategy. While on lead, direct him toward smaller breeds. Let him meet and greet without any tension. Try to find other dog walkers that are nearby and strike up a conversation. Be relaxed and explain prior problems. He will sense the atmosphere and relax too.

Not sure where you are located, but try to find a dog show. All the dogs there will be well trained and accepting. It's good practice for your Chow and will build his confidence.