Eczema

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Levins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Eczema

Post by Levins »

Recently i noticed my chow, Django, licking, scratching and biting at a specific area on his back. My girlfriend took him to the vet yesterday and aparently Django has, wat he called, wet eczema. As i was not there I was not able to ask the apropriate questions regarding what may have caused it. They shaved the area and gave cream that sould be applied twice daily. Is this commen? And would having him groomed more often help his skin to breath? Django wil be one next month.
NGibson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Eczema

Post by NGibson »

Hi
I am having a nightmare with mine chow Harley. she will be 1 in August
she suffering quite a few hotspots so took hot to vets so took her to vets and the give antibiotics, then said she needed skin scrape and give different antibiotics now she had 3 biopsy and give different antibiotics.
The first said it was dermatitis now they saying it is pseudomonas which is a bacterial infection.
She still now better and has no appetite at all. the bill so far is £1675.

She doing the same, licking then scratching and biting till it raw.
Its driving me mad.

Hope you get sorted.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

eczema is a complication of hotspot if it is left as it is.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

skin problems are common with Chows. After 3 years of struggling I finally found the solution to my Chestnut's persistent mange and hot spot problem. It turns out she is immunocompromised and has a yeast and fungus issue hence the demodex mange, bloody odor and hot spots. Shampoo with Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole called KetoChlor from Virbac. It is out of stock now but I still found great substitutes like Ketohex or Ketoseb. I ordered them from Allivet.com or Amazon. No more weeping sores, hair loss, scratching and now controlled demodex mange. The downside: There is no cure. This shampoo is for life on my dog and it can only control it. Symptoms creep back up after three weeks of skipping the shampoo. so I hoard like crazy
jaydfreeman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaydfreeman »

My Chow has one hot spot on his back, underneath where his tail sits. He used to bite the area a lot and subsequently lost the majority of hair in that spot.

I took him to the vet and they prescribed me with a wash to use to help soothe the area and keep it clean from infection in case he broke any of the skin whilst biting. The wash did help, but I swear by the particular food I feed my dog and his regular grooms.
I take my Chow to be groomed every month and always treat him the the deep cleansing conditioners.
When it comes to food, I give him a mix of wet and dry, but its ALWAYS hypoallergenic with a high meat/fish content and drizzle some salmon oil on the top.
Check the ingredients and benefits on all dog food packaging. You can buy food especially of dogs with a irritable skin, which is what I use.

None of the above is an overnight solution, but over time its certainly cured my dogs hotspot issue and is a lot easier and cheaper than several vet visits!
Also ensure your dogs worming/flee is up-to-date as this can contribute!
I use the three monthly tablets so I never forget :)

Hope this helps :)