Has anyone ever purchased a Chow from RHR Chow Chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dahlia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Has anyone ever purchased a Chow from RHR Chow Chow?

Post by Dahlia »

I was just curious as to how your experience was seeing as I'm in the market for a Chow and there are ZERO breeders near me. I saw some people had bad experiences with D&M Farms and they just seem unprofessional. Thanks :)
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Has anyone ever purchased a Chow from RHR Chow Chow?

Post by Laura »

I don't know anything from personal experience but when I look at their website and see so many chows lined up in those enclosures I would run the other way. It looks like a chow factory farm. Just my personal opinion. What kind of life do those chows have? Ugh!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have to agree with Laura. Not liking the facility or the kennel situation. The location of the breeder is also notorious for mills. One of their 'breeding mission' statements also doesn't ring true...they claim to breed for a square build with stocky legs, but none of the pictured dogs represent that style.

And not to try to drive a market, but the prices they are asking are not in line with top quality Chows. None of the dogs shown have any sort of AKC designation. Sure, you can get quality pups out of dogs that haven't been Shown, but the better breeders show their dogs to a title to affirm the dogs quality. I would venture that at their price point, well, you get what you pay for.

I am not selling pups, but have 2 males that have both achieved ACK CH designations. They will both try to achieve GCH status. Before sireing either of them, they will undergo testing for any genetic issues, and will undergo OFA testing for any potential genetic issues (eyes, hips, etc).

Those are the things to look for when looking for a healthy, quality pup.
dogmaster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogmaster »

I purchased two puppies on two separate occasions. The place is a dump. It pretty much is a chow chow factory farm. They can't take care of the dogs. Some of the breeder dogs are shaved because their fur became matted down. The two puppies I bought came with minor health problems that could have easily been avoided if they were bred in better conditions.

The first puppy I bought came with a bladder infection caused by an inverted vulva. This could happen to any dog breed from any breeder so I didn't think anything of it until after I got my second puppy. He came with a ruptured anus, eye entropion, and an intestinal parasite infection called coccidia. These are all things the vet found less than a week after I brought the puppy home.

The appealing part about the breeder is that the dogs cost less than a quarter of the price of any other breeder. You really do get what you pay for.

The dogs are registered with United All Breed rather than AKC. So you don't know if they are purebred. The breeder said that they come with up to date shots but there really is no proof. When my puppy gets a shot at the vet they will put the sticker from the bottle on the paperwork. The only shot paperwork I got from the vet was what looked like an excel sheet with the shot and date. So I don't know how much I trust it.

I would avoid this breeder unless you want to rescue a dog from this kennel.
CharlesBarkley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CharlesBarkley »

I actually have bought 3 of them from her I can't vouch for them before last year but I have a male named Charles Barkley and he was returned to the breeder because of dog aggression and she thought he was abused because he wasn't aggressive with her inside dogs she let me have him and he is super dog best chow I have ever had gets a long with both the girls and my rotwieler mix and my roommates boxer/mastiff .. But he is afraid of almost all humans like they are going to hit him so I think the first people beat him cause he liked her and her niece and he like me and my mom and that's about it so I think she takes really good care of her animals she used to be a vet or vet tech and she bought this place last year from an older couple so that's why I can't vouch before then.. I have dogs from 3 different litters and they are all really well tempered and would highly recommend them. I would buy from her again

I will say that she is a large breeding establishment she has 50+ adults but this is what she does for a living not a hobby but it is a very clean kennel and the dogs shed hair after they breed and deliver a litter so sometimes it looks as if they are shave..

Now as far as that goes mine hates the brush so he gets a lion cut and he's awesome looking and still very soft
thannyw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thannyw »

I know this is a little late, but I have a healthy cream Male chow chow from Bob. He is about to be 9 years old and no problems at all. I am able to call Bob to ask about any concerns I have. I even called to ask what kind of brushes I should use. Chow chows need to be told what to do. Mine would try to get away with so much. Bob from RHR told me to do what I want the dog to be used to when they're young. My chow chow was socialized since he was young. I always play with his paws while brushing him. Now at 9, he loves bath! Plus, I dont think it's right to be spending thousands of dollars on purchasing a dog. I'd rather spend the money on good food and care for him. Personally, I love RHR chow chow