Why does my chow look different?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SnowgieBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Why does my chow look different?

Post by SnowgieBear »

I have a chow chow that I got when she was 2 1/2 months old. She came with her registration papers so she is pure. The vet also says that she is as healthy as can be. I just want to know some of your input. She was only 3.5 lbs when I got her. She is 4 months old now and weighs 13 lbs. Compared to all the other chows I've seen, she seems to be way on the small side as ive seen that chows her age are usually much bigger and heavier. Also, I know there is a rough amd smooth type of coat. Which do you think she is? Again, compared to other chows, her fur very short. And the last thing, she is the only chow I've seen that has tall pointy ears. Has anyone ever seen that before in this kind of breed?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Why does my chow look different?

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Your girl is gorgeous, and looks like a typical Chow. My chunky monkeys' ears stood up when they were puppies too, so I don't think it's unusual. Was your chow the "runt" of the litter? Shima was, and was always a bit smaller than Boo, but she makes up for it in personality and bossiness. Have a fun, joyous life with your Chow; they are funny, goofy, loveable and adorable.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Oh, I think she is a doll. Don't worry about the size. Girls tend to be a bit smaller...dainty you know. And the ears are really the right shape. Chows should have triangular ears. They appear to be well placed too, they should be at the outer edge of the eyes. I think she will grow into them.

BTW, I love the way she is allowing you to pose her. It shows she is very accepting of being handled and touched. A good sign. You should have no problem getting her well socialized.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

That is a bit small but she looks beautiful and like a pure Chow to me. I've got a 4 month old and he is 30 lbs and what I consider kind of normal size for a boy. I would expect mine to end up at 65'ish. Mine is a Smooth coat type and the ears look like your pups ears. I've had 5 Chows and they all have that kind of ear, it's just that with the normal long coat you don't notice them. I've got a 70 pound 11 year old female that you can hardly see her ears but if you mash down all the fur they are actually quite big under there. It's the same with the face. With the bit shorter hair they seem to have a longer snout but it's not really it's just that the hair on a long coat comes up and around and hides the muzzle. If you pull most Chows hair back with your hands you'll find a muzzle almost just like your little girl has. She may not be large but she is very pretty.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Your Chow looks pure to me. I also think she is a Rough coat as her fur looks long and lush. She is gorgeous and will probably weigh about 33- 44 lbs at 2 years old when she is full grown. Girls are smaller. Mine is the biggest in the litter of 4 girls and now weighs 66 lbs at 3 years old. her siblings and mom are in the 40 to 45 range while her shorter but stockier dad is 60 -63 lbs. The vet is worried mine will get all sorts of arthritic problems because her straight back legs might not be able to take the pressure of her weight. At least if your girl is lighter she will be at lower risk of hip and leg problems at old age.
kodnercasey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kodnercasey »

I saw your post about your pup's ears and couldn't resist sending you a photo of my 7 month old after her (first) bath this weekend. Check out those huge ears! Tempe is also small (35 lbs now). That is how I found this website. I am very curious to know too if she is growing normally and what her final size, and look will be. I found somewhere on this site a note that said at 16 weeks a chow will be half its size and at 20 weeks it will be three quarters its size. That puts my Tempe at a final 40 lbs. Though that doesn't tell me how tall she will be (and how much will be hair :D). I'd love Tempe to stay this size (easier to pick up in old age), though my husband would prefer her legs to be longer so she can walk through our Colorado snow easier.
Attachments
Tempe before bath.JPG
Tempe before bath.JPG (26.4 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Tempes first bath.JPG
Tempes first bath.JPG (30.05 KiB) Viewed 4452 times