General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ronnymo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow chow tail not always up.

Post by Ronnymo »

Chow chow lovers,

I'm curious if anyone could let me know why our 6 month old red rough female's tail isn't always up on her back. My wife and I have a 11 year old cream rough female and within our family we have 3 female's and 1 male. All of our other Chow's tails ride high all the time.

Her tail is starting to ride high more and more, but it seems when she gets spooked or surprised her tail falls and stays like that for awhile. I assume that it's normal for a young pup, like I mentioned all the others ride high even when surprised. When we love on her it pops up and wiggled like crazy. When we go for a walk in the patk, it is always down. Like all Chow's... her tail is awesone, but her tail looks like a fox.

She is from a well established breeder, so I don't think it's a breeding concern.

Is this something she will grow out of?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow chow tail not always up.

Post by Rory's Dad »

Most likely it's a confidence issue, which fits into your description of the situations. More than likely this will improve with time, and as she gets more accustomed to being exposed to different scenarios.

If you are really concerned, you could try to work on the memory reflex. Simply place her tail upright and lay a small towel over it. This will hold the tail in the proper position and make it natural for her. You can moisten the towel if you need additional weight. Larger towels will drag on the floor and she will try to shake them off.
kingfluff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kingfluff »

I agree, it does sound like a confidence issue. Watch out for when her tail and find out why/when it goes down then expose her more to those situations in increments so she can get used to it. It will get better over time, she's just a pup. She'll be full grown at about a year but will still fill out til about 3
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I agree with the others. Sometimes Chance will hold his tale weird and I have to jokingly tell him, "Fix your TALE!" He does, with a goofy play swat at my hand when I am reaching for it. As a puppy, he would raise his away from his back when he was startled
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

She is still young too.One of my girls who is 11 and a half,lets her tail hang at times.
Some chows are a little lazier than others ,I believe.
Check the tail set..if it is high up ,then she will get start carrying it packed most of the time as she matures. Does she display any other confidence issues?
Ronnymo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ronnymo »

Thanks for the comments. She has started carrying her tail up almost all the time now, especially when she's confident. If she is unsure or apprehensive then her tail goes down. She is learning..... :lol: