Chow shoes

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow shoes

Post by kevindd992002 »

What do you think of using shoes for our Chows when we walk them outside?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow shoes

Post by applebear »

Unless it's super cold, like well below 0 [F]...I personally wouldn't bother. I always think of winter as the chows season, where they can go out and not overheat. All mine have gone crazy for it and seems to be when they are the most active, except when it just gets too low and you'll see them lift a paw-that's when I know to hurry up their potties and get them in [I can count on one hand how many times I've seen that in 25+ years of chowdom].

The only other reason I could think of for booties is hot concrete or salt laid out...but keep in mind the paws are one of the places dogs sweat, so I personally wouldn't use them for long periods of time. I heard there's this 'mushers' mix sold on amazon, believe it's used mostly for sled dogs-but have heard of some service dog teams using it. I don't know much about it first hand though.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Since I leave in a tropical country, no Winter for us. I was just planning on using shoes so that I won't bother cleaning his paws after a walk. This would save me tons of wet wipes! Would there be any disadvantage at all if I use them only during walks?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I don't see any advantage to it. If you are worried about mud, I would get him used to a hose and just spray him off a bit. Since you are in a tropical area anyway, it would cool him down nicely.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

It's not mud I'm worried about. It's just the simple dirt on his feet.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Most of the times my Chow, when outside, doesn't know how to "direct" his pee so he pees all over the place. He always marks everything outside so his feet accidentally steps on his own pee. Rubber shoes would come handy then, right?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I would still go to the hose down option. He will outgrow that as he moves towards marking rather than just a straight out pee.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Ok. When he marks he sometimes is close to the thing that he is marking and the urine is splashing towards his body. The reason why I can't go the hose route is because I live in a condo wherein I really don't have access to a readily available hose, unless of course I do a ghetto hose in my bathroom or something.