Temper Tantrums

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Temper Tantrums

Post by Briahna »

Royalty is a little over 4 months old now. Since about 3 weeks ago, she has been throwing "puppy tantrums" when she gets in trouble or when she doesn't get her way. This doesn't always happen but she definitely has about 3 tantrums a week. My husband is starting to dislike her all together because she is so stubborn/hard to train. We don't beat/hit her and we don't even yell at her. My husband will raise his voice on occasion, but it's still not exactly a yell.

An example of her tantrums is when she is out playing with us or roaming around and then she suddenly stops playing with one of her toys and then starts messing with something that doesn't belong to her, trying to jump on the couch (this has only happened once), or trying to go places she's not supposed to explore like behind the TV or bookcases (this is also rare). I will tell her "no" or to " stop it" and she will stop and then misbehave again within seconds and I will tell her to stop again and redirect her attention somewhere. She will start misbehaving AGAIN and I will do the same thing until I decide to put her in her kennel for a while as a sort of "time out." It's usually then, when I'm about to put her in her kennel that she starts flipping out and crying, screaming and mouthing/nipping at my arms. She also does this when I take hold of her collar (which I occasionally do when she is in trouble and won't listen). Sometimes she will just throw herself on the ground and bark/cry loudly when I scold her from a distance. She also runs and hides under beds and tables when she tries to get her way (like when I have to go to work in the mornings) and this is also very annoying. When I put her in her kennel, she calms down and acts like nothing happened even though she was just acting as if she was being abused seconds ago. She seems embarrassed of her behavior later.

What do I do to discourage this behavior? It is driving me crazy. Is this normal? Or is our puppy possible mentally challenged or a little insane? Lol serious questions here. I've never had a dog behave this way before.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Temper Tantrums

Post by Rory's Dad »

If you don't mind me asking, where is Royalty from?

I have similar issues with my female, who is now 3 years old. My girl is never aggressive but displays what I would call obsessive behavior. I used to think it was just her looking for attention, whether positive or negative (we also have 2 male Chows). She doesn't go to the door when she wants to go out (and she has been well trained), but will either look to jump up on a table or start to chew on the table. We show our dogs, and it drives her crazy when the boys go without her, but as soon as she gets in the truck and in the crate, she starts digging to get out and complains the whole way. She does a lot of fur pulling and biting on her dew claw.

Talking to other experienced owners, the general conclusion (without any medical proof), is that she may have some neurological issues. She is really sweet most of the time, but generally needy. She will even scratch at the walls/gates when she is not where she wants to be (think Cat, she is never in the right place).
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

Rory's Dad,

Royalty is a breeder dog turned rescue. She has a weird story. She came from a breeder in Alabama (Anderson's Chow Land, if I'm remembering it right) but her first owner decided she did not want her (because of allergies, apparently) so she left her chained up in the back yard and was trying to get rid of her. That is the shortened version of a very long, complex story. At first, I thought she came from a puppy mill, although I've never heard of or seen chow chow puppy mills. However, after speaking with the breeder and retrieving her paperwork, I now know better. Even if she was from a puppy mill or from the side of the road, I would still love her. Even the most well bred dogs can have issues.

She does show signs of obsession at times. She gets jealous when my husband hugs me or touches me at all. She will sometimes try to squeeze herself between us so she can get my attention instead. Her aggression towards/fear of strangers is mostly gone at this point and she never shows aggression towards myself or my husband. The nipping/mouthing thing is the worst thing she will do and it's definitely not to hurt us. It seems to be very anxiety driven and she doesn't clamp her jaw at all. I know it can potentially get worse and become dangerous as she gets older if we don't get it under control though. I don't want to just assume she will grow out of it. It worries me.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I looked up Andersons, and they are definitely a back yard breeder with little quality control if not a flat out mill. Since you already contacted them, I think you have gotten all that you will get. And I am talking about dam/sire info with maybe a bit of background on the rest of the litter.

It definitely sounds like anxiety, and given the history its understandable. She has decided she is your dog. She likely has separation anxiety, so she wants to make sure to place herself in the middle of whatever you are doing. If she is just squeezing in, that at least is not aggressive. She is accepting to some degree and just doesn't want to be left out. That's actually a pretty decent behavior. Sounds like all her behaviors are really just attention seeking.

I don't think that will lessen or degrade to any sort of scary situation. At her age and with that life experience she is adapting pretty well. I would make sure that she socializes with your husband equally. Let him give her some treats and take part in her training. Let him feed her the evening meal if you give the breakfast.

I know how you feel. In my house, we have two top dogs, and had hopes for the same with Amber. She is still a sweet girl with some personality quirks. We could have had her rehomed, but love her and wouldn't even consider it. Yeah, it takes patience.

She's not as similar to our female as it first sounded, but I would try a few things with her anyway. Give her something to do. Amber loves to chew. Yours might be similar, and something as simple as an empty water bottle could entertain her. Find a treat that she really loves and will work for, ours loves cheese (string cheese, American).

Keep us posted.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

She does sound like she is adapting well. For you husband, no loud voices, calm, solid commands and guide her through to completion. Persistence, you win by out lasting patience. Once it clicks she will love you and respect him. We have had several rescue chows (fostered) though here now and all turn out wonderful even with the unique issues they bring.
KubasMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KubasMom »

my boy zips around the house/yard at top speed, leaps in the air and nips. the zipping and leaping does not bother me but the nipping was an issue. he has improved in that area after some firm correction. what gets me is after he is corrected and made to sit he throws himself on the floor and sighs impatiently...then he give me the "oun, oun, oun" a sound he makes when he doesn't want to do what he is told - lots of attitude! if i put him behind his gate for a time out he jumps up, paws on the fence and my attempts to touch him are met with him moving his head away and meeting my hand with his paw, like "don't touch me". sometimes he is unreal.