Moderator: chowadmin

Soren90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Raw food

Post by Soren90 »

Hi my name is soren and I have a betifull little princess named lea
She's a 7 month old cinnamon
When I got her the breeder gave me a bag of food with lasted me for about 3 days and she told me to change the food when the bag was finished and so I did get her the chicken nutra she loved it at the beginning and finished all her meal really quick
But when I thought she might be allergic to chicken I changed it to the lamb and rice. She ate it for 3 days and after that everyday she started eating less and less to a point that she would sometimes not eat for a day.
So I changed her food to the science diet the sensitive digestive system again she ate it for 2 days and she stopped eating.
At the same time she really seemed to like the royal canin so I got her that I've never very seen her eat like that before but then again that only lasted for 3 days.
I was told that raw is the only way to go
Are they any risks whit the chows since they are not very active
And if there is anything other than raw mybe :?: :(
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Raw food

Post by applebear »

First I would have her checked out by vet to make sure it's nothing medical. I haven't heard of Chicken Nutra....but can say I am not impressed with the other foods, and maybe she isn't either. My Chow does very well on Fromm, but I'm looking into another called Victor [suggested by friend, I need to look at it closer]. In the end, it's whatever they eat best...but for what you pay for science diet, you can get much better quality food for same price or less. ;)

As for raw, I suggest researching it. It's not just a matter of throwing them a chicken hindquarter and being done with it. They also need other nutrients, such as whole raw eggs [shell and all], veggies/fruits even. I'm not a real expert on it so maybe this bump will bring someone out of the woodwork that is. I give my dogs hindquarters every so often just to keep their teeth clean and because they love it. But you may find a raw diet can be very controversial, so it's really you're call in the end-but I'd have her checked by vet first, just to be on safe side. :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I don't do a traditional raw diet. I do feed my dogs a diet that alternates boiled chicken breast and ground turkey. This gives them a good portion of the proteins I feel they need. That is the dinner regimen, with a cup of dry food each to add in the veggies and to give them something more solid to chew on. At breakfast I give them 1/3rd of a container of cottage cheese each. The dairy is good for the coat, but I limit the amount because it can be difficult to digest.

So, I know that having your dog eat less and less at each feeding is tough, but changing food every week or so it tough on the digestive system. Particularly when the ingredients are so different.

What made you think she was allergic to chicken? That isn't all that common. I think at this point you should work with a product that she seemed to like. Make sure its a quality brand. Sadly, you probably need to follow her around for a bit. Her stool should be solid, without any looseness. That is a sign that she is digesting the food properly. Loose stool can indicate that she isn't digesting the ingredients properly, or that she is being overfed, so keep that in mind as well.

Also keep an eye out for itchy or dry skin. Allergies in dogs tend to appear in the skin. Hot spots, which present themselves as wet sores are also a sign that a dog is scratching a lot.

Again, I supplement the dry foods with a few items, but I currently like Merrick for the kibble. I like to avoid rice and grain, so their formula of Bison and Sweet Potato seems to do well for us. It's a lower protein mix, but that is ok since I supplement that with the 'not-so-raw' items. We tried the Blue Buffalo Wilderness line, but found that way too rich.
Kerry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kerry »

I give my dogs, 4 pugs (10+ in age) and Molly (2 months old) our Chow a mixture of Sojos original and grain free food. I add in protein (chicken or turkey that I have slow cooked).
Molly transitioned over very well. She now pushes the pugs out of the way to get their food.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Hello, I think your dog has not fit to the food that you given and prepared, I read about the Raw or Fresh Food that best for our dog in this site http://www.exoticonlinepetstore.com/, and there's a lot of information there that can help you with your problem. Keep us update about her situation
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

tried feeding raw a while back and it drove me crazy. Making sure the food is not spoiled plus the other nutrients you have to supplement her with? Ngyaaa. Went back to feeding Go natural PFGF Turkey with ground beef toppings.
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Have you vetted her? there could be another reason for her not eating.Raw?? well,salmonella is a concern with raw.I know they are supposed to be `safe` but my vet tells me every week he has people who feed raw in his practice with ill dogs.So ..it sounds like she she should be tested since she is young.Most puppies can hardly wait ti eat.Also you should always be adding some hot water to your chows kibble.This is to be sure they dont get gastric torsion.Teeth can be an issue..i am not sure.Your vet can help.