Entropion

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

yianno
Rank 0
Rank 0

Entropion

Post by yianno »

So Kira my female chow chow has entropian as was brought to my attention by the groomers , I took her to the vet and they have booked her in for surgery Monday . But in the mean time the breeder told me to try a lotion called golden eye ( meant for humans ) before the surgery , he says it has worked for him most of the time . I don't know what to do should i cancel the operation and try lotion first . Your advice is needed

thanks in advanced
kingalls

Re: Entropion

Post by kingalls »

I don't see how a lotion can correct entropion. My Chow girl had entropion surgery last year. As she is a senior, I searched for options - including laser surgery but she wasn't a good candidate. I took her to a canine opthomolgist and the cost would have been around $1800. Our regular vet said he could do it and I went with him because I did not appreciate it when I mentioned to the opthomolgist that Chows have hard time with anesthisa & she had no idea. Her regular vet did a great job - although the 10 days of wearing a cone was not fun. I strongly suggest getting a soft cone versus the hard plastic cones the vet will provide. I got the soft cone on Amazon.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Soren90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Soren90 »

How long does it take for the hair to grow back ?
And doest the hair change colour or no ?
Tnx
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

FuShiLu had it bad. Surgery corrected it easily. How she looked returning home made us cry. But she is wonderful now and only had a mild infection that left her left eye with reduced night vision. After a few months the hair was back, new hair around the eyes and the skin darkened to help with seeing. ;)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

With VERY mild entropion, a topical solution can work. Not recommending that as a fix, but coating the eye can prevent the wayward lashes from scratching the eye. I would think more of an intermediary/temporary solution if you needed to wait to have surgery.

But I am also very hesitant to put any Chow under anesthesia for surgery. If there is another option, I would give that a try to see if surgery could be avoided.

If the chow is young, then it is possible he could outgrow the problem Obviously, not the case for mature dogs.
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Entropian surgery is essential.I have 3 rescue chows at the present time.The 12 year old girl whom I have had for 5 years,went blind because her owner didn`t get the surgery done.By the time I got her it was too late.There is no cure besides surgery;why the breeder would tell you that is strange.Did they give an eye cert as part of the sales agreement?
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Alas, just one of the health problems brought on by selective breeding and inbreeding in an attempt to meet a made up breed standard.
IMO Chow Chows would have been better left with the fox face and longer legs and bodies the original dog had. Too many dogs suffer as a result of designer breeding. I know I risk some possible outrage but none of the mutts I've had over the years had the health issues of my current rescued "original" chow chow who I thought was a mix because he didn't look like the chow chow we now know.
Wishing Kira the best possible result......
Malamar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Malamar »

lotion helps?? Mean no offense but it seems ridiculous. Just listen to the professional and he will give you advice.