General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mali
Rank 0
Rank 0

Car Rides

Post by mali »

Hi Everyone,

First, it is amazing to see the wealth of information on this website. I keep reading and reading, hoping to ensure that I'm doing everything right for the best possible chow. If I have missed something on the topic, my apologies.

Our girl is 9.5 weeks old and she just hates car rides. She cries and cries and howls, we have tried different seating arrangements, different carriers, giving treats and praise, talking, windows open (a teeny bit) etc. Has anyone else experienced this with their puppy? I'm thinking she will grow out of it, but would like to know I'm not the only one :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Car Rides

Post by Rory's Dad »

1st off, stop giving in to her. Think of it as a crying baby. There is nothing wrong, so as long as you know that, don't give any additional attention. I know this is hard to do, and I am guilty of it myself. I have two males that love the car, but my female will scream murder anytime she is placed in a crate. She will jump up into the car like all is good, but then the scratching to escape and the gnawing at the crate starts.

So, what finally works with even the difficult chow? Longer rides. Let her know that it is what it is and she will not be able to change it. Don't give the treats, don't speak at her except for normal conversation. Don't coax or scold. Just let her settle in. You may try after a good long walk. If you tire her out a bit, she may relax and just ride along.

As I look back at your post to see if I missed any details, I notice the window open bit. Make sure that she is secured in the car. Whether it be crated, or buckled to a seatbelt. You don't want her roaming in the car. If she were to decide to jump on your lap, it could cause an accident. And if an accident happened anyway, she would be thrown about the car. And at her age/weight, she would fly! She may also find some additional comfort in being secured in either a crate/carrier/etc.
mali
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mali »

Hi Rory's Dad,

Thank you for the response. I'm glad to hear that Storm is not the only one unhappy in the car (though I'm not happy that any of our pets are stressed). She was also screaming murder in a crate in the car, we now have her harnessed to a seat belt, it seems to stop the screaming murder, but she still howls and cries. I have been taking her for car rides each day, hoping to get her used to it. I do sometimes try to calm her though, so I will be extra cautious not to do that.

Thanks again for the help! This website is wonderful :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Do you use a crate at home? Or only in the car? It could be the crate she is objecting to rather than the car ride itself.

Be consistent and be firm. It can be hard, but she will get it. She is young enough still that you can get her set to certain rules. Just try to make each experience positive without giving in too much. It will be a difficult balance. So, don't reward her for improper behavior, but once she settles make sure she knows that it's the way she should react. Try to find those 'calm' periods and then give her verbal encouragement and maybe even treats. Ignore the rough spots completely.
Mewmeister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mewmeister »

My little girl used to hate the car, but she has warmed up over the years, (and couple hour long car rides) She'll probably grow out of it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

In my house, only our female objects when in the car. And I think she is objecting to the crate, not the car itself.

She really hates when we leave her home and the boys go for the ride though. So after a bit she settles in. No lie, its a stressful 1st 30 minutes as she claws and scratches the crate (think nails on chalkboards), but after that she settles in.
mali
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mali »

Thanks for the responses!

She hates the crate at all times unfortunately :( I know that I am supposed to let her cry and get used to it, but unfortunately our neighbours are a little difficult. We live in an apartment building and received a noise complaint after having her for less than 12 hours, and have received more (though she rarely barks and I have been home with her - I've started recording any barking instances), making the crate training next to impossible.

I take her out for 2 car rides a day - she is very slowly getting better, is harnessed and buckled in. She still cries every trip, but the high pitch barking has lessened. I will keep taking her out and work on her enjoying it. I have become much better too at ignoring the improper behaviour, it stressed me out initially because she sounded so hurt. She gets lots of verbal praise for her quiet moments.

Off topic, but exciting to me - I have found a doggy daycare that offers free puppy socialization on the weekend (for 1 hour) and I am excited to take her this week! It's for 12 weeks to 6 months old, so she will be there the day she turns 12 weeks, and hopefully weekly until 6 months to get her used to it. Hopefully she'll enjoy car rides more if she thinks she may be going to see friends!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Start early and often. Every single one of ours loves (loved) car rides, even 15-19 hours to vacation on the ocean. They love me the ocean. While in motion they sleep. Stop the car they wake and wonder if they get to pee and meet new friends.