Ruby is trying to go walk-about!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RuthB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ruby is trying to go walk-about!

Post by RuthB »

I need a little advice. My almost 3-year-old red chow girl tries to take off when we go to our local dog Park. The park is large and off leash and she has been going there since she was nine weeks old. She is spayed. We were just there and after walking about 10 minutes she turns around and looks at me as if she has never seen me before and trots away, paying no attention to my trying to recall her.
Luckily she is very friendly and quite slow so I yelled at a woman walking ahead of me to grab her collar. This is the second time she has done this in a week. I thought it could be because I got a rescue puppy, but I've had the new pup for five months now and this behavior is brand-new.
I have been warned that sooner or later my perfect girl would turn into a "chow", whatever that means. She has always been very good so I have not worked on her recall; maybe this was a mistake.
Any advice for my wandering girl? Thanks
RuthB and Red Ruby
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ruby is trying to go walk-about!

Post by applebear »

She sounds like a chow to me. lol They are very head strong, solid recalls can be hard. But I've had Ro get loose on me several times last year [all accidents...long story] and yeah he goes completely deaf as I watch his fluffy buns jet off down the street enjoying each and every tree. I use to panic at first, but one thing I always made sure to do was praise and reward him for coming to me, when he decided he was satisfied with his artwork down the street. Otherwise they will associate coming back to you as a negative thing, so always happy happy good dog when they come. :)

Now he goes down a block, me following behind with lead in hand and by that time he is happy and comes right to me and I give him lots of praise. I can't really suggest much other than that, other than trying to reinforce a better recall. Chows can be difficult on that one. Maybe start on leash first and reward when she comes. Start training her brain to think "foooood" when you call her?

I honestly don't do a ton of recall with my chow. Do with my other dog, but he's a completely different breed, all about the pleasing momma.
RuthB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Ruby is trying to go walk-about!

Post by RuthB »

Thank you for the reply I had a feeling that this was just Ruby's chowchow nature. At least she is slow and stops to greet other walkers at the park so I can always catch her. I live in an urban neighborhood so my dogs are leashed even the 15 feet to the car. I love our off leash dog park and if Ruby stays within the boundaries I won't leash her there.
I would have thanked you sooner but I couldn't remember my password.
Ruth B