Too friendly...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

waleedbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Too friendly...

Post by waleedbt »

First time dog owner, i got a chow :) fell in love immediately.
So in the first week, he was afraid of people, mostly kids, but now he is totally friendly with everyone! like waay too friendly, he would stop when he sees a person and make them pet him. Thats also the case when he sees another dog too, which is funny cause every other dog seems to be aggressive but he just doesn't care hehe
He is very well behaved, and really sweet.

Would this be an issue later? as he grows? as i really would love to have him be more protective.
Im going to sign him up to classes soon too

Thank you

Here he is, early pictures, he's a bit fatter now .. eats a lot xD
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Too friendly...

Post by Briahna »

Hi! Welcome! I recently got a chow puppy as well. Yours is adorable!

Anyway, back to your question...How old is he? He might just have a really sweet temperament. He might start to show an instinctive urge to be protective around 8-11 weeks of age.

Most people, however, would LOVE to have a friendly chow. My chow puppy started off like yours, a little fearful, but she started becoming friendly until she had a bad experience with someone and now she has become rather aggressive to strangers.

Often times though, chows are friendly/indifferent to people OUTSIDE their homes, but more territorial within their own space. Either way, I don't think you'll have any issues. I'm sure his instincts will kick in to protect his home soon enough. Just be sure that he doesn't have any bad experiences like mine did. It's been tough getting her to recover!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Your puppy is gorgeous!

Please do not worry about your puppy being overly friendly. We socialize and let EVERYONE pet our chow. He is very very friendly. All of these introductions to others has made him a more confident dog. A confident dog is much less likely to bite out of fear.

If you plan on taking your puppy places with you when he is older you do not want him "fear biting" strangers.

Now that Chance is two years old, I can confidently walk him/take him anywhere without worrying about him barking or lunging at other dogs or people.

That being said, he is protective of me when he feels something is not right. He will place himself between me and an approaching stranger until I tell him that it is OK. I like having this barrier of protection. It makes people stop and take notice. What I do not want is a lunging fearful dog (people often confuse this with protective behavior). I train rottweilers in protection work and there is a huge difference between a fearful biter and a protective confident dog.

While your pup is young, get him out and about and introduce him to as many things/people/dogs as possible. Control his situations so that he is safe and all introductions are positive. I honestly believe that there is no such thing as a puppy that is TOO FRIENDLY. A friendly puppy is a confident puppy. Build on that! It will pay out in huge dividends as he matures.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
waleedbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waleedbt »

Thanks for the replies, yeah ill try to keep him around people more, i hope he doesn't start biting strangers for fun too hehe
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, just like Cindy said. A friendly chow is never an issue. You definitely want him to react positively with both new people and dogs.
waleedbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waleedbt »

So i took him on a walk yesterday and there was big size dog (looks husky and german shepherd mix but less hair), my chow Simba approached him friendly, the other though was out of control. I was afraid pulled him and just waited for the dog to settle down by his owner, anyway.. i saw something that he did, the dog never really calmed and if he did its only for seconds, so i put my Simba down again and he approaches while im keeping my hand on him, the other dog starts to attack (kinda or play rough) so Simba switches completely and becomes very defensive! He is not afraid of a dog that is 3 times his size! And he made interesting stances and when i picked him up again he wanted me to leave him down so badly to get back getting ready to attack.

Oh and Simba started growling, barked a bit (all after he became defensive)

I laughed honestly and felt really good that he can protect himself and isn't afraid.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You should understand that Chows set other dogs on edge just by being themselves. The stance and attitude a chow displays make other breeds uncomfortable. So even when you dog is being friendly, it is unsettling to other breeds.

Chows are not afraid to 'stare down' another dog. Most breeds will avoid extended eye contact. Think of a staring contest. Chows will 'eye' other dogs. This can often make training chows difficult, as your natural instinct is to not engage this behavior. In the mind of the dog, he has defeated you and has gained an upper hand in the pack structure. Other dogs don't really get this and are intimidated, which sometimes results in an aggressive response to try and level the field.

Now most Chows aren't overly aggressive. They would much rather pose and intimidate their position, but when forced they are quite capable of defending. After all, they are pure muscle and have a fluffy fur coat that acts as a defensive tool.

Chows are almost never afraid, and will not likely back down when set upon. That being said, you don't want to encourage any aggressive behavior. He is right to defend himself, and to look to you to remove him from those situations.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Female chow is very good on her own property outside she is a Walmart greeter we call her...Now out Boy he is what we call the typical Chow...he is very good watch dog...When out he really doesnt seem to care about people or other dogs..he isnt overly friendly but not nasty either...He has manors as my wife would say...But i wouldnt want to piss him off either tho..he is a Big boy and he grew up with 4 other dogs in our house...2 Airedales a female Chow and a Collie...so they play rough all the time...to us his is a big mush...lol
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida