? blackness of tongue indicates 'purity' ?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lily
Rank 0
Rank 0

? blackness of tongue indicates 'purity' ?

Post by lily »

ive been wondering - the best dogs in my life have all had chow in them with a 50/50 chow rottweiler of dark flaming red color having been my 'dream dog'. she was the runt to 4 big brothers and grew up healthy in a northern native community, yup, a Beauty. i had 2 pure ones and now i have lobo (rescue) looks like a chow, moves like a chow, has the solid black tongue and looks at me as only a chow does. his fur looks chow but its quality is coarse and without the double growth - mabe he goes back several generations and has adapted to the heat (costa rica) ? mabe he has a good shot of "otherness"? any opinions ?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ? blackness of tongue indicates 'purity' ?

Post by Rory's Dad »

would like to see pics to answer the majority of you question. You don't mention the age of the chow, so that could be some of it, but it could also be a smooth coated chow ( I have one, along with two Rough Coated). I doubt the adaption to the heat. Chows have had a similar coat going back 3000 years. Only the type (open/closed face, athletic/stocky build) have changed over the generations, and that is due to selective breeding. As for the topic question, the black/blue/purple tongue is unique to the Chow. I wouldn't say that it is indicative of a pure chow, as variations can occur either way, but it is generally considered as a sign of a well bred chow. Cream Chows can be completely purebred, but not have that signature black tongue/nose.
lily
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lily »

thanx rori's dad. i didnt kno chows come in different hair types. after spending a good part of today reading cc.org's forum i now feel more 'educated': my lobo is a "pre-designer" dog, open faced and probably pretty full chow. now that he got rid of the ehrlichia, he is healthy and has gained some weight, i figure he's around 2, mabe 2 and a half years old. he also has the almond shaped eyes. instead of looking like a lion he's definitely more of the wolf - extremely handsome and easy to love. his only vice so far are the neighbors chickens .
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We Have Mia and Kodi they both look different Mia we are told is the open faced or older look chow Kodi is more of the common looking chow...[
Attachments
20130815_115259.jpg
20130815_115259.jpg (192.9 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
kodi 1.jpg
kodi 1.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
20140313_095615.jpg
20140313_095615.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Here is a Body shot on Mia too...
Attachments
mia.jpg
mia.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
lily
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lily »

~ thank you for the pictures - what beautiful dogs! i definitely like the traditional kind: regal, wild, indomitable, inspiring and an honor to have in my life ! and they are easier to read for me. wu-chi my beige baby girl would have grown into the modern kind i think. never met her dad but her mother was a modern one. your kodi seems to have qualities of both - muy guapo!
ps once i have figured out how to post pix, i will
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Thank you!
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Any dog with chow in them has a white spot on their back ,buried in all that fur.I have had dilute chows.They are the cream,cinnamon and blue colors you hear about. Ive had all 3 and more than a few in my 30 years + of chows.Their tongues may be lighter or darker and I k now they were purebred.My cream girl has the best mouth pigment I have seen on any chow!So hard to tel.There is a DNA test now to see what your breeds your dog is.Pigment is usually an inherited gene.So if the dam and stud have good pigment in their pedigrees,generally your chow will too.