Chow puppy with pink nose?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow puppy with pink nose?

Post by Briahna »

Hi everyone. My husband and I have welcomed a new chow puppy into our family. She is 8 weeks old and, as far as I know, she has always had a pink nose and pink lips. Her eyes are also green/hazelish colored.

Her siblings all had black noses. Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm including pictures, but please forgive the quality. I will try to take better ones soon! Also, Her tongue is a faint purple color all over right now. It seems to get a little darker every few days.
Attachments
PicsPlay_1453072680257.jpg
PicsPlay_1453072680257.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 17034 times
PicsPlay_1453072816530.jpg
PicsPlay_1453072816530.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 17034 times
PicsPlay_1453073077170.jpg
PicsPlay_1453073077170.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 17034 times
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow puppy with pink nose?

Post by Briahna »

This is another picture of her. I cannot add more pictures to my original post.
Attachments
PicsPlay_1453165761181.jpg
PicsPlay_1453165761181.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 17018 times
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Her nose seems more liver colored to me. I'm guessing it has to do with her coat color....she is a bit lighter, and some times they get a nose to match.
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

She also has light brown/pink paw pads so some people have been telling me she is a cream chow that just happens to have a darker hue. I've just never seen this before with such a young puppy.
Thanks for the reply, applebear. I was starting to think no one would ever respond to me lol
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

No problem, can some times happen in groups like this. I would say she looks cinnamon...I've only ever had reds, and all have had black pigment on paws, nose, etc.. I'm not an expert either, but do know lighter colors have a tendency to go a bit off standard...even though standard says creams should have black noses/lips, it's not common [which is why you see them shown a lot less...most breeders that do have them with the black pigment, quickly get them shown/titled while young as the nose is probably going to get iffy as they get older-pink spots, or liver colored, etc].
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

She seems like a cream to me. When i had my chow certified there was one lady who was surprised her blonde chow which she was sure was cinnamon was proclaimed a dark hued cream. The reason were the pink nose and paw pads. It is impossible for a cream to have any black pigment as well. To confuse you further blue and cinnamon chows are also known to have light colored etes (gray, green, blue) but their noses and paw pads would be charcoal not black or pink.
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

Thanks for the replies. She also has blonde/white whiskers so, from what I've read, I'm guessing she probably is a cream chow. At first, I also thought she was a cinnamon chow. In fact, we almost named her Cinnamon. Haha.

Very confusing!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cream Chows definitely have a higher incident of non-conforming nose/mouth coloring, but it certainly isn't impossible. It has a lot to do with the quality of the breeding. In Chows, both the cream coloring and the pink flesh coloring are a recessive gene. So, to get all scientific and stuff, there needs to be a genetic heritage of both in the breed line. Chow litters can have any assortment of colors regardless of the parental coloring...a red to a red can still produce a black or a cream in a litter and two rough coated chows still produce a smooth coated pup. And in most cases, there will be a color mix in the litter. Same is true on flesh coloring. If there is a recessive gene in the line, then you can get pups with lighter colored noses/tongues.

Since the pics were posted at a young age, there is a chance that the coloring with darken. It's not uncommon for the coloring to come in a bit later. I've seen a ton of questions being asked about whether a pup was purebred or not based on early coloring. In fact, in the US it's allowable for Show pup Chows to have a non-conforming color when they are under a year old.

Based on the early pics, I feel that the pup is probably cream colored, and not cinnamon. Check the nails. If they are black, then you are headed more toward a red coloring. If whitish, they go with the cream.
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

Royalty does have whitish colored claws! So I guess that confirms it: She is a cream chow puppy. Thanks everyone for your help on this!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

We just adopted a 4-year old cream chow (nearly white) and her nose is pinkish-gray. She was shown once, as a very young puppy, then her nose began to lighten, which, of course, ended her show career. As we lost our Tempest last spring at the age of nearly 14, following a long illness, we were fortunate that the breeder from whom we got Tempest years ago, was willing to re-home Sunni (Sunset Boulevard Femme Fatale). She's adorable, but a challenge!!!
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

Chowchowdaddy, I'm sorry for the loss of your Tempest. I had a chow growing up that lived to be 13 and we were told that that was above average for the breed (I'm not sure how true that is). I'm glad you were able to spend 14 great years with what I'm sure was a great companion. :) And its good to hear that you have adopted a new addition to your family. I think the dog show standards are just silly sometimes. Because my puppy, Royalty, had a pink nose and pink lips, no one wanted to buy her from the breeder. The breeder actually gave Royalty and her brother to a friend (said they had "bad genes")......long story short, my husband and I rescued Royalty from that "friend" because she quickly decided she didn't want to deal with training puppies and kept them both chained up in the backyard in the middle of December!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

That really is a shame to hear. Unfortunately too many breeders are in it for the money and not the advancement of the breed. This is particularly true with Chows. In the 1980's they were in the top 10 of newly registered dog breeds. Today, they are down close to # 70. Much of that had to do with the popularity and being sent in inappropriate homes. Much like Pit Bulls are today. Chows are a very regimented dog. When young, they identify with their human family, and don't always adapt well to change. So many young singles fell in love with the "puppy", had no idea about the temperament of the dog and essentially kept them as room mates. They never got socialized or trained. THEN these singles got married and had children, and the chows didn't really take to the changes in the household dynamic. From there they were tabbed as trouble, untrainable, aggressive, prone to biting, and even vicious. Insurance Companies took notice and placed them on the banned list.

So now, they become 'rare' breeds. Hard to find...breeders feel they can charge exorbitant prices for pups. The have even developed terms to try and imply that there are designer colors. But bottom line is $. Frequently there is no thought to the health quality, temperament, or life expectancy. There is no genetic or health testing, and the purchaser can be left with tons of vet bills as they try to ensure the dog is comfortable. Sure, unexpected results occur with good breeders, but they will back up the pup as best they can. It's the others that I speak of.

To hear of dogs that reached the age of 13 or 14 is encouraging. That is a healthy, well bred dog. The current trend with Chows is to breed for a heavy, short muzzled dog that has that full lion look. It might be boutique, but many of the dogs in that style have breathing issues. The muzzle is too short to support proper respiratory function, causing stress on the heart and lungs. Others have eye issues because the mane impinges on the lenses. And that heavy build can result in joint issues because the straighter rear legs just cant support 70 or 80 pounds. Chow bone/joint structure really is designed to be in the 40-50 pound range.

I have 3 chows currently. And I do show my dogs, so I am looking for a certain 'type', based on my preferences. But I always qualify them based on a more natural look (although to be honest, I don't go for that classical early Chow build). I also look for personality and temperament. My dogs are pets 1st, so they need to be part of the family.

While I agree that 'show standards' seem silly, they have a purpose. Shows are designed to identify and reward breeding stock. As I said, I do show my dogs, because I enjoy the competition and because it reaffirms the qualities my dogs possess. There are no cash awards for winning points, but in the end winning dogs can command larger stud fees and help to ensure that the best traits of each breed is carried forward. The coloring of a Chows mouth and nose (blue/black/purple) are an important part of the breeds uniqueness (as are they're being the only dogs born with 24 teeth, not 22 like every other canine), (or the stilted gait).
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Make sure the breeder is OFA and CERF tested.I disagree about the weight of a chow.Heavier bone carries more weight.I have had both heavy bone and more moderate.If the breeder is one who cares about breeding for health and soundness , and not only treating their kennel as livestock you will get a good chow.
I have had several chows live beyond 14;in fact the youngest was 14 when he passed.My last girl Persia passed in her sleep at home .She was 16 years, 3 months.
The heavy look is only an American style.In Canada we have more moderate ;UK has more moderate,as well as most European chows.
Shar-peis also have blue/black mouths. But they can be flowered in the breed standard as well.
My cream girl was finished as AKC and CKC CH. and as she got older her nose lost a lot of pigmentation.So now she has some liver in her nose.
The dilute chows have some of those traits. Her nails are white though.
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Hmm,I have a cream ,a cinnamon and have had several dilutes throughout the years.Did you buy her in a puppy store? or is she a registered girl?
She shouldnt have that nose or greenish eyes,..Sorry just telling you how it is.It is not the breed standard.My cream girl has great black mouth tissues and a dark nose.It has lightened up through the years ; she is 12 now but it must have black mouth and nose pigment.
Briahna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Briahna »

I didn't buy her from a puppy store and I don't know and didn't really care how legitimate her registration was (she apparently was registered). She was in a bad situation so I adopted her... she had a unique rescue situation. Her eyes got darker but her nose and lips never did. It turns out that she had a very severe auto-immune disease (which was what I feared) and the pink nose and lips were a result of that. I'm speaking in past-tense because she died two months ago. She began getting very sick at about 4-5 months old and I poured thousands of dollars into her medical treatments. I got multiple vet's opinions and all but one told me that her immune system was permanently and irrevocably compromised. She had a genetic defect that she would struggle with her entire life.

It was a very heartbreaking experience and I stopped signing into this website because there was so much talk about "purity" of the breed and whether or not a dog was AKC registered, etc. There wasn't much support for rescues. I didn't really feel like this was a safe place to get answers about my enigma of a puppy, I guess. The conversation seemed to always turn to things that I couldn't change (her breeder, her registration, etc) and those things honestly didn't matter at that point since she was already in my life. Royalty was an amazing dog that didn't ask to be born the way she was but I constantly felt like I was being lectured about the breed (on things I already knew) and almost like people who owned dogs from potential "puppy mills" were being demonized even if they rescued the dog from a pound or some other bad situation.

Sorry, I'm venting. I'm not trying to be rude or sensitive...just venting my frustrations, which I know I shouldn't be doing online. Hopefully if someone in the future has a puppy with pink lips and a pink nose and finds themselves concerned, they will find this post and take the puppy to the vet and get some blood work done to make sure their dog is ok. It was a horrible experience and I would hate for anyone else to go through this kind of thing with the same amount of uncertainty that I did.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Oh MY.... I am beyond heart broken to hear that you lost your beautiful girl. I am happy that she was able to spend most of her short life with someone that loved her so deeply.

Big Hugs to you for all that you did for this little angel.

side note* None of us have PERFECT dogs. It does not matter, only that they are a perfect fit for our hearts.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

I must admit that your Chow looks adorable in "pink" nose. Anyways, I hope there is no medical problem underlying behind your Chow's pink color nose. As far as he doesn't show any health issue you no need to worry. Consider it as God has made him quite unique for you.
I love Chow Chow :P
Malamar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Malamar »

Any chow chow with a thoroughly pink nose or one lacking in pigment is disqualified according to AKC standards. I'm not telling you not to get one, but definitely do not breed one. The lack of pigment in their nose is a sign of a mutated gene. Which means, that there is a good chance that there are more mutated genes.
Example: White Schnauzer -there are many of them out there that are perfectly fine dogs. But the ones that I have met have been aggressive. And, their puppies have been worse.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Pink nose is actually very common in Cream chows. It is not a mutated gene, but it tends to become more prominent because Cream is not a dominant color and carries a recessive gene. It also common in younger pups, and frequently darkens with age as does the mouth.

It may not be the most desirable trait to introduce into a breeding pair, but certainly doesn't risk any mutations. Simply not the most desirable, does DQ from AKC shows and draws many to ask if the pup is purebred.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Briahna wrote:I didn't buy her from a puppy store and I don't know and didn't really care how legitimate her registration was (she apparently was registered). She was in a bad situation so I adopted her... she had a unique rescue situation. Her eyes got darker but her nose and lips never did. It turns out that she had a very severe auto-immune disease (which was what I feared) and the pink nose and lips were a result of that. I'm speaking in past-tense because she died two months ago. She began getting very sick at about 4-5 months old and I poured thousands of dollars into her medical treatments. I got multiple vet's opinions and all but one told me that her immune system was permanently and irrevocably compromised. She had a genetic defect that she would struggle with her entire life.

It was a very heartbreaking experience and I stopped signing into this website because there was so much talk about "purity" of the breed and whether or not a dog was AKC registered, etc. There wasn't much support for rescues. I didn't really feel like this was a safe place to get answers about my enigma of a puppy, I guess. The conversation seemed to always turn to things that I couldn't change (her breeder, her registration, etc) and those things honestly didn't matter at that point since she was already in my life. Royalty was an amazing dog that didn't ask to be born the way she was but I constantly felt like I was being lectured about the breed (on things I already knew) and almost like people who owned dogs from potential "puppy mills" were being demonized even if they rescued the dog from a pound or some other bad situation.

Sorry, I'm venting. I'm not trying to be rude or sensitive...just venting my frustrations, which I know I shouldn't be doing online. Hopefully if someone in the future has a puppy with pink lips and a pink nose and finds themselves concerned, they will find this post and take the puppy to the vet and get some blood work done to make sure their dog is ok. It was a horrible experience and I would hate for anyone else to go through this kind of thing with the same amount of uncertainty that I did.

Not sure if others saw this.... :cry:
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye