General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

leymann
Rank 0
Rank 0

I want by chow chow. It's god idee?

Post by leymann »

Hello everyone.
I'm from Poland. I want o get married in the next year, and have a children in next two or three years. I want to know if I buy chow chow now. Accept he my children and chow chow will be not aggressive for him? I want buy bitch.
When I was a kid I has cocker-spaniel english and i heard a lot of bad stories about cocker-spaniel, it is aaggressive and false but none of them was true. My cocker -spaniel, was very lovely and calm. Please for some advice. I shlould buy chow chow now or wait for children first?

best regards
kingalls

Re: I want by chow chow. It's god idee?

Post by kingalls »

Chow Chows are not recommended for first time dog owners...but I was lucky to get Shiloh as my first Chow Chow. If I got Nahkohe (RIP) as a first Chow Chow we would have been in a lot of trouble. You need to read a lot about Chow Chows and their need for a lot of socialization.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

There are too many changes coming up in your life. My suggestion is to get married and have your kids first and then get the chow when your babies have started school. Or at least your older child. Your life is about to change drastically and you won't have time to really socialize and devote a lot of time to a high maintenance dog like a chow. In these cases it's the dog that usually pays the price because the apartment you move into may not allow dogs or one of your babies will turn out allergic to dog dander or fur and the dog has to be given up. That is just heartbreaking for them. Make sure you are all settled in before you decide to get a chow. I got mine after 5 years of marriage and i can devote time for her needs now. Prepare for the vet bills too as they are prone to a lot of skin, eye or hip issues.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Constantina, but for different reasons. If you get a chow pup now, she would grow to be YOUR dog. They can be very attached, and the life changes you describe would change that dynamic. Frequently, an adult chow, which he would be when you get married and have the kids, changes the structure for the dog. Sometimes they resent that, or simply view those changes as unacceptable.

On the other hand, a chow would do quite well being introduced as a pup into an established family. He would already have a place in the home and be accepting of a wife and younger children. As an upside to that approach, you can see the dog and the kids grow together. I got each of my kids a Chow when they were 5 years old, and they built lasting relationships and an appreciation/respect for each other.