Chow aggression - thoughts?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow aggression - thoughts?

Post by nara »

I've been in love with the chow breed for quite a while and have been seriously considering getting one some day. I was on the dogs subreddit asking for some advice about selecting a dog, and I had mentioned that I was interested in getting a chow. I got a lot of responses basically from people telling me that I shouldn't get a chow since I would be a "first time owner" (even though I technically grew up with dogs) and that I shouldn't even consider any kind of spitz breed if I have any hope of having a dog that could coexist with a cat and not maul any child it comes into contact with. This response in particular bothered me:

"This isn't about "not being great with" the above categories, this is about outright aggression towards anyone or any creature (hopefully except you) in the worst case. Not just ignoring or not tolerating being messed with, full out guard dog growling and making his own decision whether or not to bite. Even in the next case, where you get a relatively mild tempered chow and work relentlessly on socialization, the best you'll ever get is aloof. Are you prepared to work tirelessly on socialization with a best case end goal of not being immediately aggressive, with the very real possibility you may never be able to have him around any other dogs, animals, or people without stress that something could happen?"

Like, I get why people are reluctant to suggest chows to uninitiated dog owners. But really? this person is practically guaranteeing that any chow I get will be ready to snap at any moment and kill whatever dog, cat or child they encounter. You'd think I suggested getting a pet alligator. I dunno... This really rubbed me the wrong way. I might not even follow through with a chow, and get a Samoyed just to be on the safe side, but am I really so dumb for thinking that I could successfully train a chow to tolerate people?
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow aggression - thoughts?

Post by ski »

Funny...I had been "one of those people" until my son found a chow on the streets of New York who was in bad shape and needed help. I remember telling my son to close his bedroom door at night as I didn't think the chow could be trusted. I, too, had heard tales of aggressive ch ows. We have always had dogs so I was very comfortable around most breeds but a chow was a different story. Ultimately we took Loki (our son finally named him) so he could have corrective surgery. We fell in love not only with Loki, but thr breed in general. We have had him 11 years and, although stubborn, has never been aggressive. (However, he does not like cats). We have children in our neighborhood who love to hug him because of his big, furry head and he is always tolerant and, in fact, I think he rather e joys it. He is protective, especially of our two grandchildren. When the first grandchild came I was very nervous as Loki had never been around children on a regular basis. Loki was great! He is not one of those dogs that kisses and jumps for joy when guests arrive. He prefers to be rather low keyed and keeps his distance but at times will favor them with a sniff. He is very indifferent to house guests but is very enthusiastic about those he considers his pack. We rescued a second chow a year after Loki and I wish I could have more. I cannot imagine my life without them. Maybe they are an acquired taste? I don't know. I am just grateful this beautiful creature came into our lives when I least expected it. He may many health issues now but still walks with his head held high and maintains that majestic gait. Good luck with your decisi N
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Well, 1st off I would offer that the poster who you quote is a moron, who really knows nothing about Chows or their temperament, and is basing their opinion solely on misinformation and old wives tales.

So, that being said...I'll do away with the vagueness and get to a real answer. Oh, and despite how it is phrased in your quote, aloofness is actually a POSITIVE quality of the chow. Owners love that they are selective about their families, and not all golden retriever slobbing over the next person willing to lend a face for licking.

Yes, socialization is important. This is generally accomplished over the 1st few months of the Chows life. They are socialized to other dogs when they are littermates, and you as an owner would continue that during those early days. Take them out to the Pet Stores, to the Dog Parks, to the whatever. They meet and greet other dogs and people of all ages as a pup, and it is ingrained into them that they should behave that way in the future. Positive rewards and treat training go a long way to making sure they understand proper behavior. They are very intelligent and will get it pretty quickly. Show me another breed that is most likely to be house trained within the first 2 weeks or so. It is not unusual for Chows. So, yes, it is a bit of a labor to socialize them, but if you are committed, it's fairly easy, and not a 10 year project as your poster suggests.

Now, I would agree that Chows are not the best fit for inexperienced dog owners. But its more about approach and attitude than experience. Training classes are everywhere these days to help you learn to deal with your dog. (Don't be mistaken, Dog Training Classes are for YOU, not the dog). However, any assertion that a Chow will 'bite' on his own will is completely wrong. This is where people confuse Guard Dog and Attack Dog. Attack Dog's are trained to a specific reaction, regardless of breed although most associate the term with GSD's, Rottie's, or PB's. Guard Dogs do exactly what the term says. They guard. A Chow is actually very good at that. They have great hearing and will alert you to strange noises. They lie in doorways and between you and a room entrance. Most will wait until you tell them that a stranger is welcome. Biting is actually a last resort for them. Chows are much more likely to corner an intruder and wait for you to make a decision on whether or not they are acceptable on the property.

You should be alert to a dog's reaction to strangers regardless of breed. Small dogs have a reputation for being nippy, particularly with children. Cats smother newborn babies, and Hamsters carry the Plague.

I have owned Chows for over 20 Years. I currently have 3 (2 males and a females). My dogs are the Rock Stars of the Community. My 4 year old male finished the year as the 39th Ranked show Chow in the US. He gets groomed before every show at the local Petco. They love him there. Aside from the occasional male marking episode, he is perfectly behaved for the entire staff. My 1 year old Smooth Chow is as friendly as they get, even a bit goofy. All my dogs go 'out' on a trolley run and are visible to the neighborhood in my driveway. People walk by and ask to pet them all the time. As long as a family member is present, and can instruct on proper approach (which is important), they love the attention.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

My 4 year old male Chow Chow Buddy2 spent his first year in a shelter and came to us very timid. I decided not to push him beyond his comfort level, give him time and space, he is coming around beautifully. He loves all dogs and will merely avoid people he does not know. He may not be typical but what I can say with absolute certainty is that he does not have an aggressive bone in his body. We recently went comparison shopping for homeowners insurance, Met Life refused to even give us a quote since we share our home with a Chow Chow! Knowing Buddy2, that's laughable. My chow chow is more aloof and independent than any dog I've known but aggressive? Absolutely not.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

RMB, check out the AKC's CGC program (canine good citizen). Many insurers will 'overlook' the breed if the dog is certified. It's pretty easy if your dog has learned the basics...allowing a stranger to approach, sitting on command, walking by a strange dog, lead walking, coming when called, allowing a grooming, not becoming aggressive when startled, and short term separation from you.

Certified Evaluators are practically everywhere. Might be worth the time to ease your H.O. Insurance issue and will likely reduce the rates.