Frisco's weird behavior!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Frisco's weird behavior!!!

Post by ski »

We rescued Frisco about ten years ago. He is a black chow/Newfoundland mix. Very gentle soul. We also have Loki, a chow, rescued about 11 years ago. We got Frisco when he was about two years old. Not sure of his past but he did have many fears. Lately he has had this behavior we can't quite figure out. He scratches at the door to go out. Fine...we put him out and he just sits on the deck facing the house and staring. Doesn't go off the porch...just stares back at the house. He is very reluctant to come back in. He will even sit in the rain or the cold. Physically all seems well. He had Lyme about six months ago but wAs on meds and given clean bill of health. He is such a sweet dog and a great pal to Loki. He loves to eat and enjoys his walks and welcomes everyone coming into the house, just like always. Any ideas? I just want him to be comfortable.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Frisco's weird behavior!!!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds like he is very comfortable. If hanging out watching the yard is his thing, I wouldn't worry. They all have their own personality. Rory, my 4 year old male loves being outside. He will hang out in the yard all day long. Amber is my 3 year old female, she is more like a cat, wants out, wants in, etc. Toby, the 1 year old male is out for business, and then back in to be with his people.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Does seem weird that he is facing the house while out there. Maybe he is finding it too warm indoors? Buddy2, also a 4 year old male, has a doggie door and goes for weeks spending most of his time outdoors, I have to call him in for meals & then he'll go for weeks where he spends most of his time indoors. Sounds like in all other aspects, he is normal so I wouldn't worry.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks for the replies. Frisco has always been a bit strange, so I guess we'll just go with that!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Maybe it's a Newfoundland thing? Sounds like he is guarding the outside from undesirables. Sounds like a cool doggie.