things chow cows like?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Saraahnaraa
Rank 0
Rank 0

things chow cows like?

Post by Saraahnaraa »

Hi, I've been using these forums for info to help me out on my journey to getting a chow puppy. We're picking him up tomorrow and I'd like to make sure I'll have all the options I possibly can to help him adjust and be happy here. I made him a faux fur bed, (I sew)... got him some Christmas toys, some squeak toys from Disney's new per line. (I have a Disney based shop).... and I even made him some fleece ropes and a small fleece blanket. I made the ropes because I saw someone say her chow enjoyed them... I just don't know if like a blanket is too much because they have so much fur. And the man thing is worried about any clothes I might put on him. I raised 2 shitzupoos, so I had to fight with him that at least a rain coat is a must for rain and snow because it takes forever to dry them after. Pretty much I know all of the tough parts about chows, I just need some insight on the fun stuff since there seems to be more stuff about how difficult they can be instead of productive "how to make them happy" stuff.
-Sarah & Little Bear
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: things chow cows like?

Post by Laura »

I have one that likes stuffed toys only and one who could care less about any toy. They both enjoy any type of edible bones/treats. Neither of my mine will sleep on a dog bed. I think chows in general prefer to lay on cool surfaces but my Chloe loves to lay on the couch with us. They love walks that allow them to sniff and explore.
I do not put any type of clothing or rain gear on mine. They have a mountain of hair and are always hot I'm sure and they are never out in the rain long enough to get really wet. The most important thing you can do for your pup aside from love him is to socialize him to everything and everyone from the very beginning and only use positive training techniques. Enjoy your baby. Time flies!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Laura. Most likely, your Chow will not require any sort of clothing. Unless the weather is really extreme, their coat is designed to deal with most weather. They have a double coat, which insulates against both heat and cold. It is also fairly close to waterproof. The top coat will get wet and hold most standing water, and most don't like rain, so they probably won't get soaked, unless in the bath.

Individual tastes will vary, some like chew toys, others will have no interest whatsoever. Two of my three chows actually prefer a plastic water bottle over any toy we have bought. The 3rd has no interest in any of it. I would also discourage any 'pull toys'. You don't want to teach tug of war type behavior.

As for the doggy bed...I have had 5 chows total in my time. one kind of liked the bed. every other one (except for my female) marked the bedding. If you have a single dog, or once he is fixed it might be different, but that's my experience.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

My chow chow wants nothing to do with the dog bed or any furniture for that matter but loves loves loves to shake and throw his plush squeaky toys.
yianno
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yianno »

Im a newbie Chow Chow owner but my 2 won't sleep on beds much prefer the cool surface, they both don't seem fussed with toys and as for treats they go nuts for chicken slices and work harder for that than any dog treat i have bought. i just bought them a kong to deal with separation anxiety (i separate them at night) and they seem to love it fingers crossed , although i don't know whats going to happen when they have finished with it but right now they seem to love it.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Yup agree with all of the above that likes may differ. I bought a variety of different toys to start with i.e. harder toys, treat dispensing, soft/fluffy, ropes, squeakers etc.

I found that Moose prefers soft toys, ropes and anything with a squeaker. He also likes soft toys that have a crinkle sound to them. Similar to Rory's dad, one of his favourites was a used water bottle inside an old sock. Once he crushed it I would replace with a new bottle.

Moose also prefers to sleep on cold surfaces in the summer i.e. tiled floor or hardwood. He doesn't even like carpet during the warm months. I bought him a cooling mat which I placed next to my bed since there is no tile or hardwood there and he is happy to sleep there next to me at night in between prowling the house. In the winter he chooses to sleep either on his cooling mat or on the carpet. Definitely, not a dog bed type of dog.

Hope that helps!