are chow allergic to fish??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowchow Gump
Rank 0
Rank 0

are chow allergic to fish??

Post by Chowchow Gump »

Hi, i have a chow named gump and he is 10 months old. I just want to ask if chows are allergic to fish?

I was really worried because he had his grooming 5 months from now and his hair is not yet coming back as what is expected to happen. I tried to seek for a way to make his hair grow back and i saw sardines. I want to know if it will really help him to grew his hair back to a fluffy one. If it will not cause itchiness or skin allergy. Also, he scratch almost every time for the reason i do not know. It freaks me out to see that his paw is bleeding. Can someone please help me what to do with my chow?? Thank youu
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: are chow allergic to fish??

Post by Hooch »

I'd think the oil would be good for him, mine eats salmon numerous times throughout the week with no ill effects
Chowchow Gump
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Gump »

Thanks , my chow has allergy, i dont know what to do. He is losing his hair i thought it is because of the fish. Is it because i was not able to include fish oil to his diet?
Chowchow Gump
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Gump »

Im also concern about his hair. Its been 5 months but still it is not growing back. It becomes thick and not the fluffy type before. I decided to cut let the groomer cut it it a lion type and for us to treat his lices and ticks. What should i do, please help. Thank you in advance
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Probably not dealing with any allergy, unless you have had him tested. Would be very rare to have an allergy to fish. More likely you are just looking at a slow regrowth of the fur after having him shaved.
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooch »

The oil is part of the fish I would start looking elsewhere for why he is losing his hair
Chowchow Gump
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Gump »

Thank you so much. Yeah, im worried about his hair beacuse it is not yet growing back. And also he is losing hair and the part of the skin that has no hair becomes grey, near black actually. He always feel itchy, especially in the neck part and lateral portion of his body. I will send some pictures for you to have a better view. Thank you so so much
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

my chow chow tested allergic to dairy and all grains. I would suspect food, environmental or even tick/flea allergy before fish. If he is not already on a grain free diet, I'd highly suggest that and maybe Ultra Oil Skin & Coat supplement. Good luck to the poor itchy guy.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

My chow chow is allergic to fish but that doesnt mean all chows are. Have your baby tested for demodex mange. That is what mine had when she started shedding profusely and her skin turned black. It is an immune system problem that usually affects growing pups. We have been battling it for 2 years and thank goodness it is not contagious.
Chowchow Gump
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Gump »

Thank you so much guys. i found out that my chow has a genetically inherited disease. he is now undergoing treatment. thanks for the answers! hoping that he will get well soon
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Did you vet him? I am rather disturbed the groomer trimmed his coat before he was full grown! It sounds like he has an allergy of some sort .Chows were in China for many thousand years;they probably ate lots of fish! After all the things you stated ,I think a visit to a vet used to chows and familiar with them would be a good idea..paw bleeding,skin irritation ,ticks and fleas..Please take your dog to a vet
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

I never heard about any Chow Chow who is allergic to fish. I thought all dogs love fish and meat of all kinds. Thanks that you shared about your Chow Chow that I know some Chow Chow's may be allergic to fish.
I love Chow Chow :P
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Umm,well, chows were imported to China by the mongols around 2000 years ago;so I believe fish was on the menu throughout their evolution there.
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Umm,just read the rest of your question..take him to the vet.Ticks are serious business.And he was much to young to have his coat shaved before he was full grown.Good luck;but please vet him..he should be getting vaccines about now so a vet visit is imperative. /:)