when do chows get protective?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

taradraco
Rank 0
Rank 0

when do chows get protective?

Post by taradraco »

I own two chows from the same litter,they are 16 weeks old. My male Draco is already growling and barking when someone knocks on the door,also if he see's someone pass our sliding glass door he growls and barks. When do their natural protectiveness come in? 6 months or later because the female really could careless about knocks on my door, unlike her brother
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: when do chows get protective?

Post by kitten1426 »

Depends we have a male and a female chow..Our Male at 7 weeks old showed protective signs Our Female is more layed back but when she is outside by herself she is one hell of a watch dog...alerts us of anything on our property...Now for our Male his size alone would scare you away..LOL..He is a very good watch dog..we also Have 2 Airedales which forget it they wont let you near the house...so with 2 chows 2 airedales i think you would be pretty dumb to break in...lol
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
taradraco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by taradraco »

Your chow is beautiful!! Yes with your dogs someone would be nuts to break in. So I'm thinking she's more laid back,when her brother is protecting the house she's right there backing him up physically, but is quite. Thank you so much for helping me. :D
Chowchow Light
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Light »

Hi! I'm new here :) we have a chow chow and she's now 5 months old. She barks only when there are people outside. Even when we sleep, she likes to sleep in front of the door.. A guard dog even when we first got her and she was 3 months old at that time :)
taradraco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by taradraco »

Well welcome! :D . our male sleeps in the kitchen, we have sliding glass doors, boy if there is someone out there,he barks and growls. My female sleeps near the front door and she hits the door and gruffs at people. They are both 4 months old.your dog sounds like a great protector, what color is he? I live in Florida and chowsare hard to find. We bought ttwo blues.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have 2 males and a female. They will all start barking if 1 begins. The other 2 have no idea what is going on, but they join in. What I find more amazing is the way they protect. They all have their spots at the 'entry points'. One will lay at the front door, another at the back, and the 3rd at the stairs to the 2nd floor. They rotate and you never know which will be where. I like to call them the sentries. They will also wait until a family member tells them "OK" before they let anyone in, regardless of whether they have met them before or not.