Elderly Chow - Quality of life

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Elderly Chow - Quality of life

Post by tysonchow03 »

In January 2013 we will have a 13 year old intact male chow. We have really been struggling with keeping up with the guy, as he is clearly declining in his health. He's got arthritis and needs help getting up, he has accidents in the house, and sometimes when he tries really hard to get up he poops himself. I have been told these are signs of near the end, I'm hoping for some advice and some stories on this. I am not looking for judgement.

When do you know to make the call and put them to sleep or do you let them move on all on their own.

Thanks for reading.
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Elderly Chow - Quality of life

Post by ski »

I am so sorry. I, too, have a soon to be 13 year old chow, Loki. He has many issues, including severe arthritis.
Inspite of this, he still enjoys his walks. I know he does have a certain quality of life. He has more good moments, than bad. We have done everything in our power to make him comfortable. We just take one day at a time.
He is a rescue and I take comfort knowing he has had an amazing life with us inspite of what the future may bring.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

You just do everything that you can to make them comfortable. Pain meds! Pain meds! Pain meds! Dogs take a lot before they show any signs of pain so just imagine how bad he is hurting if he can barely get up. If he isn't on anything please make that call today.
Otherwise just spoil him and love him and cherish these moments. He may let you know when it's time like if he stops eating or the misery is just too obvious. Unfortunately it may just be all on you to make this decision and its gut wrenching I know. What does your vet say?
My thoughts are with you.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

I guess my first stop is to the Vet. We need some guidance on this. I want to get him some pain meds for his leg and ask for some advice on what to look for. He can't go on walks any more, maybe just down the block but his back legs gives out and he ends up on his tummy.
Proud parents since 2010

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

You might be surprised. Loki's pain meds have done wonders for him. He is on tramadol twice a day and a gabapentin before bed. Chows are very stoic and can mask their pain, so it is important to stay on top of the pain. Loki also receives shots of adequan. Along with arthritis, Loki also has liver disease and takes meds for that as well.
Proper meds can I prove their quality of life. I would also have your vet suggest an appropriate diet. At one point Loki had stopped eating. We now cook his meals and he has gained four pounds!!! Don't give up hope.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm glad you are making the vet call! Your only goal at this point is comfort and quality of life. You don't want him to suffer. There are several pain meds you can try and combine to see what provides relief. Tramadol, rimadyl, gabapentin, deramaxx, etc. Keep us updated.
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

Up date on our boy.... he still has some quality of life left in him. He is on meloxicam for his joint pain. We are too just watch for more signs like incontinence and failure to thrive. He's definitely going down hI'll but still has some flight in him .
Proud parents since 2010

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm glad you took him to the vet. If you don't notice any improvement with the meloxicam within a cpl weeks there are other pain meds to try. You are his advocate and his voice. I hope you guys get some quality and quantity time!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

So glad to hear there has been improvement!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

As long as you can bring him relief and love....our girl has a lot of old age issues but we let her enjoy her morning walks and we feed her - her favorite foods...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh