General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

griddez15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Biting training techniques

Post by griddez15 »

Hello!

I have 3 month old beautiful chow! Very playfull and has caught on well to sit and down commands. However, the biting becomes intense during playtime. I've managed to redirect the biting to toys however when she's in the spur of energy (zoomies) she goes after everything...my pants, socks and aims for my hands. Please advise if this is normal behavior for a 2 month old and if so please advise successful techniques on how to minimize the biting.

Thank you!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Biting training techniques

Post by JasonandNat »

Yup, normal, especially without a sister or brother to abuse. Depending on growth it may also be needed to help teeth align. However to keep things positive, a simple scolding is good. Offer your hand, do not yank it away. Your baby must learn the amount of pressure that relates to play vs pain and that actually comes quick. FengHuang spent the first 5 maths of her life with my hand in her mouth to alleviate the pressure of an underslung jaw. She eventually grew out of it, she did end up with almost twice the bite force as her big brother (don't ask). The good news is she grew out of the grabbing, chewing. FuShiLu went through it as well, but she fixated on ShenLungs tail reducing it almost to a bald switch. She grew out of it, his tail is almost perfect again. She does grab my hand now and again when mad/jealous and takes me a few feet away to reprimand me. Every now and again she will grab your pants if she feels you have been away too long, but all have diminished as she approaches 3yrs of age. Patience and calm repetition seem to provide best results.