Is my Chow puppy purebred?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lyanikita
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my Chow puppy purebred?

Post by Lyanikita »

Hi guys, so I'm new here and I recently bought a "pure breed chowchow" from an internet site.
When I received the little girl she was absolutely beautiful. But she did not look anything like a Chow puppy.
She has a pure blue tongue with no spots but she looks like a chow retriever puppy. But I'm thinking shes too small for her age(2 months) to be either chow or retriever
Her paws are pretty petite which convinces me further that she is no full blood chow
Any opinions on what Esme might actually be??ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is my Chow puppy purebred?

Post by ski »

I am no expert, but I know adorable when I see it!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

To be honest with you I have concerns too.

I definitely see some Chow traits in there, but other signs lead me to think not so much. Yes, the mouth coloring is very good. The eye shape is close, with chows you want almond shaping. The paw shape and nail bed look nice, and the fur quality on the rear hind is definitely symbolic of chows.

Now for the negative...the white spot in the middle of the head is not typical (generally you would see chows with darker coloring as a pup...black marking). The ears, while triangular, are very much folded. Chow ears should be upright. A slight bend is ok, but those are a complete fold over. Finally, the muzzle. Take a look at even open faced chows, and I still think that looks more like a retriever.

I definitely seem some chow in her, and she is a real cutie. But in my opinion, I don't see a purebred chow. And that may not be a bad thing unless you paid a premium to get just that. If it's important to you, you could request records from the seller, or have a DNA test done to confirm. If you were mislead, you may have an action against them if they misrepresented the dog. That may also come down to what your intent was. If you wanted a nice pet, then you may have that anyway. If you wanted to breed, the contract may restrict that anyway. And if you were looking for a show dog...
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I agree with Rory, don't see full chow...but do see a lot of it [chow] in her.