General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

griddez15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is snoring normal

Post by griddez15 »

Hello!

I was curious if snoring is normal in a chow. My cute little mia snores when napping and sleeping at night. I do keep the fan on to ensure she doesn't get too hot. Please let me know if there is something I should be doing to minimize the snoring or it's completely normal.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is snoring normal

Post by Rory's Dad »

In my opinion its fairly normal. It will likely be more pronounced in chows with a shorter muzzle/closed face, but chows can be pretty noisy. Mine all have a great array of grunting/snorting sounds when awake. My female even makes some noises that I call singing when she wants to be recognized (and she apparently has taught it to my year old smooth male).
Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukies_Daddy »

From my experience, yes that is normal.
Sukie can make some really loud snoring and snorting noises when sleeping or upon being awakened.
Fully stretched out on her side snoozing away seems to be the ideal orientation for the most fun noises.
Last edited by Sukies_Daddy on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe says hi! She has snored like crazy since she was a pup. She is banned from the bedroom at night because she will literally keep us awake all night. I call her my little piggy and tell her she needs a cpap! Shuggy doesn't snore at all.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
jmoreton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jmoreton »

I believe it is normal. We have had 6, and all of them have snored. What is even more funny is when they are dreaming and sleep barking. Really cute on both.
griddez15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by griddez15 »

Thank you everybody!!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Hehe totally normal. Earth rumbling normal!!!! ;)
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooch »

I can hear mine in the living room snoring right now. My old lady typically kicks us both out at night.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Yup my prim and proper little princess when awake, snores like a freight train when fast asleep.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Our Tempest, whom we lost last spring after nearly 14 years, snored like you wouldn't believe. I could be on a telephone call and people would ask what that noise was. I actually liked it, and really missed it after she went to the Rainbow Bridge, as I called her my own personal little "white noise" machine when I slept, as she slept in the bedroom. Fortunately, Sunni, our new adoptee, snores, so that's a good thing!!!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

chowchowdaddy wrote:Our Tempest, whom we lost last spring after nearly 14 years, snored like you wouldn't believe. I could be on a telephone call and people would ask what that noise was. I actually liked it, and really missed it after she went to the Rainbow Bridge, as I called her my own personal little "white noise" machine when I slept, as she slept in the bedroom. Fortunately, Sunni, our new adoptee, snores, so that's a good thing!!!
Oh, this is so sweet. I too love my dogs snoring. It tells me that everyone is content and sleeping; soothes me right to sleep at night.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
divinelymade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by divinelymade »

My baby Judah snores he's 11 weeks lol and he breathes fast at night
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

Absolutely not! It's better to take her soon to the vet for the check up, or changing his diet is the best way you can do for now ask your vet for the right food that will help her. It's too dangerous for our dog if they snoring.
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

It is normal, but not natural. There's a difference. You should take your chow chow to a vet soon.
I love Chow Chow :P
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Chows snore. Period. Anyone thinks they are unhealthy is not aware of the breed. I have 2 right here in perfect health thundering away. They run down a fox at the drop of a hat, jog all day in the heat without a care in the world. They see the vet annually, perfect health. They snore. The big fella can make stones dance on a the ground. ;)
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

If my chows didn`t snore I would think something was wrong.lol
lorielllouie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lorielllouie »

Im glad to hear that it is normal because my chow does nothing but snore at night.
Malamar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Malamar »

Their soft palate (the flap of skin across the back of the throat that prevents food and water from entering the windpipe) is often fleshy and elongated and tends to fall loosely into the throat. This causes noisy breathing and chronic snoring and makes it tricky to anesthetize this breed safely. So, it is normal.