Need help understanding my rescue chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jax2015
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need help understanding my rescue chow

Post by Jax2015 »

Adopted a one year old rescue chow chow about three months ago the only thing we know about him is that he was from Florida and he mainly lived in the backyard and had no socialization. He gets ago perfectly with my one year old German Shephard and he absolutely loves my mother, but so jumpy around myself and my father. Whether we are just walking by or trying to pat him he jumps up and runs away and refuse to let us touch him. We have been super patient with him and tried everything to get him to get closer to us but he won’t budge and we can’t understand why. He also barks constantly at night when someone get up or if he hears anything moving.

Is there anything we can try to get him to loosen up with us?
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Need help understanding my rescue chow

Post by JasonandNat »

Patience.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Perhaps he was mistreated by a male in his past and he is afraid? Patience as was stated above but also try taking over his care. Feeding, walks, all good things come from you? If he will allow it of course. If your mom walks him maybe you can tag along and eventually switch the leash over. Maybe using your other dog to help show him the way. Loving on and playing with the other dog in his presence. Soft voice, slow movement, sitting quietly with him. Building trust may be a very long process but don't give up on him. I'm sure there are books available on rescues and gaining trust so check out your local bookstore or Amazon.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I was thinking the same thing as Laura, that he might be wary of males. It's pretty common with rescue dogs. Women very rarely are abusers in the dog world, so it may make some sense. Also, males (of both species), tend to portray more of an alpha role, so if there is a struggle for leadership the dog may be trying to assert more with male than with a woman.

I also agree that if your chow is getting along with your other dog, put that dog into a role as a mentor.

What methods have you tried to build his trust? Just walking by and trying to pet him on the head is not going to work at this point. Since he is only a year old, there are a ton of other ways to reach him. 1st off, get him to just be still and not jumpy. Offer him a food reward as you approach him. To start, just give it to him for not running off or getting twitchy. Never try to manhandle a Chow or force him into a behavior that you haven't convinced him is his idea. Earn his trust by providing him resources (food). Work a little as a time to gain his trust and to get him to behave properly. Once he is approachable without any fear, you can ask him to do basic commands. Sit, lie down, give a paw. And reward him every time he gets it right. Don't yell or scold when he doesn't get it, just start over. And only reward when he is correct. Next, you can work on getting him to trust your hand. Keep those treats in the pocket of your pants. Make sure he knows that is where they are. When working with behavior, be consistent. You will see him look to the pocket whenever your hand goes in there. Move the hand and treat to your nose and look for eye contact. Now mix it up a bit. Move the treat over his head and create contact. Next time through bring your hand out of the pocket with no treat, but still get that eye contact and body contact.

Remember that chows can be head shy. Don't initially go to pet the dog on the top of the head. They can have limited peripheral vision and can be surprised by sudden contact. Approach him from straight on, and slightly below until he is used to being touched. Then expand the 'touch zone' until he is comfortable.