Moderator: chowadmin

prettysoju
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which breeder should I choose?

Post by prettysoju »

:D Hi

1st let me answer a few questions:
Do I currently have a chow chow? No, I don't.
"Would you consider adopting?" No, and here is why...one of the most important thing to me is the bond between the dog and I, which I think happens best from raising a dog from puppyhood. It is much easier for me right now to build a relationship from love then it is for me to recondition a dog with behavioral problems (if I should need to). I learned that most chows in adoption centers often have behavioral problems. Given I believe that my attitude going into adopting a dog plays a role, I don't want to enter a relationship with fears. It is important to me that I bond with a dog in their earlier years.

My question is: Which breeder should I choose?

http://dmfarm.com/dogs/pedigrees/
or
http://www.rhrchowchow.com/

I am inclined to choose RHR chows (2nd link) because their prices are lower, however there is something very gravitating about DM Farm and I appreciate their "health guarantees". If money wasn't an issue I would choose DM Farm. Does anyone have any experiences with these two breeders? Yay or nay to them? Anyone knows more about RHR Chows?

I am currently looking for a cream female chow puppy with an open face ("spitz face" found from the original chow look). I will attach images I've found online to further detail the kind of "open face chow" I am referring to.
Attachments
928382-chow-chow.jpg
928382-chow-chow.jpg (177.79 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
yasha__little_chow_chow__3_by_lifeisaworkofart-d56z468.jpg
yasha__little_chow_chow__3_by_lifeisaworkofart-d56z468.jpg (91.8 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
12009696_f496.jpg
12009696_f496.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Which breeder should I choose?

Post by 612guy »

Adding a chow puppy these day is not an easy decision. My suggestion is to take your time and wait for the right one. Where do you live and how far will you drive or are you willing to pay about $350 for shipping. I have no idea about the two breeders you ask about other than they always have puppies for sale and are on the lower price range for a chow puppy these days. But for $900 to $1000 I think you could get a much better quality chow if you really looked harder and was willing to wait.

Brutus
prettysoju
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prettysoju »

612guy wrote:Adding a chow puppy these day is not an easy decision. My suggestion is to take your time and wait for the right one. Where do you live and how far will you drive or are you willing to pay about $350 for shipping. I have no idea about the two breeders you ask about other than they always have puppies for sale and are on the lower price range for a chow puppy these days. But for $900 to $1000 I think you could get a much better quality chow if you really looked harder and was willing to wait.

I have been waiting for 1-2 years, but when you don't know where to look it kind of adds to the problem (from what I have experienced). I live in Sacramento, California. Most likely I will have to pay for shipping since there is a lack of breeders and chow pet owners in my area. It has become harder to find a reliable breeder because of the lack of information out there, thus I had to resort to sites like the ones I posted. I ask Chow owners where they get their open face chows from (via instagram) but most of them give me vague answers.

I have been waiting and continue to wait for the specific chow I am looking for. What makes it harder is that I prefer the open face show, and most reputable breeders I've heard of breed close-face chows.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

What you're going thru is normal for anyone looking for a chow puppy, especially if they are looking for a certain type. The first chow we got was from a local pet store in 1992. The second chow we drove 5 hrs to get and Brutus our current chow came on a plane. Part of the reason I showed Brutus was to see other chows, theirs owners and breeders in the United States. What I found was there are many types of chows but also a bunch of people that really care about the breed.

I don't live in California but believe there are many chows there because of the 2 Chow Chow clubs in the state. The Redwood Chow Chow Club is having a show 10/16 thru 10/18 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton California. It's only about 1 1/2 hour from Sacramento and if you can go you can see all those chows and meet their owners. It may help find the chow for you but will have fun even if you don't.

Here are the entrees for each day:

Redwood Coast Specialties/Harvest Moon Classic Dog Show Weekend - ENTRIES

**Skyline Dog Fanicers - Friday, 10/16/15 -

6 Class Dogs; 9 Class Bitches; 6 Dog Specials; 1 Bitch Special
(4 Point Major - Dog & Bitch) 22 Total Entries

**Del Valley KC - Saturday, 10/17/15
(Redwood Coast Specialty - AM)

7 Class Dogs; 9 Class Bitches; 8 Dog Specials; 2 Bitch Specials; 1 Veteran
(5 point Major - Dogs; 4 Point Major - Bitches) 27 Total Entries

**REDWOOD COAST CCC SPECIALTY- AFTERNOON

Sweepstakes - 2 dogs; 3 bitches = 5 Total Entry
Veteran Sweeps - 1 dog; 1 bitch = 2 Total Entry
Junior Showmanship - 1

*Regular Classes
7 Class Dogs; 9 Class Bitches; 8 Dog Specials; 2 Bitch Specials; 1 Veteran
(5 point Major - Dogs; 4 Point Major - Bitches) 27 Total Entries

**Del Valle KC - Sunday, 10/18/15

6 Class Dogs; 9 Class Bitches; 7 Dog Specials; 2 Bitch Specials; 1 Veteran

Looks like it starts at 9:00am on Saturday but can find out other times for the other days if you would like. But Saturday looks like the best day.

There are also a couple of groups on FB that might help you also:

RED CHOW CHOW ONLY! Breeders, owners, puppies for sale.

Chow Chow Puppies for Sale

and many more chow chow related groups

Brutus
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well my choice would be neither! Did you see the amount of Chows in the rhr pics? Enlarge them. Their chows are part of their family? Please! Chow factory farming IMO. Lives lived in cages as breeding stock, not in homes! The other place didn't seem much different. It's just sad. Due to my own ignorance 8 years ago, my Chloe came from a 'factory' and she has the health/personality issues to prove it. I wouldn't trade her for the world but dogs shouldn't be raised/live in cages as breeding stock.
Hopefully someone on here will be able to point you to a small reputable breeder.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I will agree with both of the previous posts.

612 is correct. You should visit the show. This will introduce you to the best quality dogs in your area (granted an enlarged area). It will give you an opportunity to see the existing dogs that are thought to be the breed standard in your area (the owners wouldn't be showing them if they didn't think so). You may not meet a breeder there, but you can see where those dogs came from. You can see what the dogs should look like, even given your preference for an open faced dog.

And Laura is correct. Just based on the web link you posted, RHR produces way too many puppies for my liking. Laura is absolutely spot on when she says dogs from mills/farms tend to have behavioral and health issues. I didn't look too far into DM, but I don't like the coloring on many of their dogs. They have a lot of fading on the darker dogs, which is indicative of being left in the sun too much. The reds have a lot of greying as well which is a sign of either weak genetics, poor grooming, or general neglect.

I wouldn't consider a dog from either of these breeders.

If you can't actually make it to a show, then review past results in your area on InfoDog.com, you will get a sense of where the entries are bred. This doesn't mean you have to get a show quality dog, most litters from even the best breeders only produce a dog or two that is considered show quality. They will likely have pet dogs available at some point.

Take a look at 612's dog or mine. Both are considered open faced, but do not appear thin or undernourished. I felt the dogs listed on the links did look that way. Chows can be an 'athletic' type where they are thinner and taller. They should still be solid looking.