Chow puppy and swimming pool

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mridude
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow puppy and swimming pool

Post by mridude »

I have had many Chows, but this one is the first one I have had as a puppy since putting in a swimming pool. My last chow was almost 4 months when we got him and never showed any interest in the pool. My other chow was an adult when we put in the pool and also never showed any interest. So, my question is at what age should I feel safe to leave my new chow unattended outside with access to the pool?
phusitep
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow puppy and swimming pool

Post by phusitep »

I want you to help matters.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chows typically are not fans of water. I would guess that they want bother with it at all, but I still wouldn't risk leaving them unattended around it. I would treat it like a young child around a pool and either protect the area (gating, weight bearing cover), or supervise.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Funny, this topic came up at a dog show this past weekend. A lady told me that she lost her 6 month old chow due to drowning in her swimming pool. They believe that they did not secure the pool gate. The dogs were left outside while she went shopping and the chow fell in the pool. She was completely heart broken....
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Hehe, all ours swim fine. Didn't like water much when young but at varying ages, creeks and lakes became fun. Then the ocean was the rage. ShenLung is a force of nature against waves, they just don't seem to affect him, very entertaining.
chichi&saba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chichi&saba »

I wouldn't leave your chow unattended near a pool as like a child all it would take is one split second for something horrible to happen.

Mine absolutely hates water including baths but even so I always have the pool area closed off as it is just not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk