General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Barkbox

Post by Mother Moose »

Hi Everyone,

Moose and I are very excited!!! We just signed up for a 6 month trial of barkbox and our first barkbox should be coming this week.
For those who haven't heard of it, it is a subscription service that sends your pup a box of 4-6 goodies (treats/toys/chews) per month.
I'll be sure to update about what I got and whether Moose liked it.
The downside to this subscription is that you have to pay everything upfront, instead of monthly. And I have heard that if you don't cancel your subscription it will automatically renew.

If you would like to trial it, you can add one month free to any subscription by using promo code:
3M9PCJQYLT
This is great if you don't want to commit to a long subscription, you can trial one month and get one month free.

Or you can check out this groupon. I think this is a very good deal! But I think this offer is limited.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/barkbox-19-st-johns

Has anyone else tried this subscription? What are your thoughts/experiences?

Chow for Now!
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Barkbox

Post by Mother Moose »

Just a quick update. Our first barkbox came yesterday. It ships out on the 15th of every month, but we are in Canada. So I think that might make it take a bit longer to arrive.

Inside was 2 bags of treats - one duck treat and one chicken liver treat.
Both are made in US, gluten, soy, wheat and corn free.

One rabbit chew - looks and feels very similar to a bully stick but odour free.

One soft chew toy in the shape of a hot dog with a rope on both ends.

One treat dispensing toy.

Overall, I am very happy with the quality of the toys and treat!!! I think it is really good value. And Moose is loving all the treats and toys. It's just as fun for me to open with him and be surprised by the different goodies inside.

The promo code has been changed to "FREEFORYOU" for anyone who is interested in one free month added to any order.
Attachments
13 copy.jpg
13 copy.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 8153 times
nara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nara »

Moose is so cute I just wanna kiss him!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have to agree, Moose is a very good looking dog.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Thank you so much Nara and Rory's dad! I was getting worried as he seems to be small weight wise for his age. He is 7.5 months and only 36lbs. His dad was 65lbs and mom was 45lbs. He was the biggest in the litter so we thought he might take after his dad. But vet says he seems happy and healthy and not to worry about it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with the vet.

Being biggest in the litter doesn't necessarily translate to much. Could be as simple as he was best at getting a spot at the table.

Chows frequently follow the dams size vs the sires. Nothing scientific, but I also feel they contribute more toward disposition.

His paws are not overly large, so I don't think you will see a 65 lb chow out of him. 40-50 once his bone mass fills in (another 2 months minimum, perhaps another 6). Leg structure is solid, but not overdone. Head is well balanced. Can't tell from the pic about squareness, but he looks to be pretty close looking at the mirror reflection.

All that goes into overall weight. You don't want a dog that is too heavy in the muzzle, as they can have breathing issues. Oversized Chows tend to have shorter lifespans.

My 2 year old female was the result of similar weight discrepancy parents and she is petite at about 42 lbs, but fully healthy. Would love to know about Moose's lineage. PM or email me if you like.

If you are worried about the weight still, the best way to judge is to assess the rib cage. Visible ribs on a chow are a clear sign of undernourishment. You will have to move a ton of fur to get a good look. By feel, you should easily find the ribs, but not see them in a healthy dog. Not that it seems to apply, but if you can't feel the ribs rubbing the chest area, its likely an overweight situation.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Wow thanks so much Rory's dad!!! I feel like I got a true expert/professional opinion! :D

In our eyes, we obviously think Moose is the most adorable and handsome pup ever. ha!
We have never been to any shows and we got him under a pet contract i.e. not allowed to show even if we wanted to. I'll PM you the lineage information that I know.
His mom was more open faced and athletic. She was quite shy and reserved, but gentle. His dad was very big headed and closed face. He was one of the most outgoing chows I have ever met, very friendly and energetic like a lab. We were expecting him to be larger, more closed face and outgoing, so your input that they tend to take after their moms both physically and in terms of disposition makes so much sense. That is definitely what we have seen. Your feedback is very reassuring, as we were worried he wasn't meeting his target weight, but in fact he is likely right on par. We were also worried by his "shy" temperament and even hired a doggy behaviourist to work with him one on one after the group classes didn't seem to "change" him much. But I realized that he is just a typical chow, he will sniff everyone that comes his way, but he won't let any strangers pet him. He gets to approach them on his terms only. But any one that comes in the house, after some time of observation, he is all happy to be pet and played with. And he loves cuddles from me and my husband. We love him so much and cannot imagine life without him. <3

p.s. haha yes I check his ribs quite a bit and the vet checked too and said they are "perfect"
Thanks again!
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Hi All,

I just wanted to do one more update on this. This will be the last, unless requested otherwise.

Moose received his second bark box today. I dunno who enjoys opening it more me or Moose.
He already seems to know it is for him as he is circling me as soon as he sees it. I dunno how he can tell. Maybe he can smell the treats? Also, it was hard to get a good photo this time as he kept trying to dig in to the box right away. Hence the side face photo this time around; he obviously wanted to keep his eyes on the prize.

I'm super excited cause it came with two of his favourite style of toys - squeaker, ropes and softie.

1) Toy 1 - a rope toy with a red plastic chew around it which includes a really noisy unique squeaker.

2) Toy 2 - Halloween inspired softie toy bat. It has wings made of some crinkly material and a rattle on the inside. I think the body is also made from some plastic material as I'm hearing a lot of crunching sounds.

3) Treat 1 - Another halloween inspiration - pumpkin spice flavoured treats, they actually smell yummy to me. Since they are made from pumpkin only 2 calories per treat. He's already eaten 2.

4) Treat 2 - Another duck treat - this one is from a different company than last time. It includes blueberries and cranberries.

5) Chew - butchers block hickory smoked knuckle bone. I've never bought anything like this before. This is the first thing Moose tried to go for so I assume it is going to be pretty tasty. It says not to use on carpet so I assume it might be a messy one. I'm glad I delayed his bath haha.

I originally chose Medium sized box due to the weight guide they give; Medium 20-50 lbs, Large 50+lbs
However, Moose prefers large toys, so I switched this month to the large size to see how it compared to the medium. I would say we are both happier with the large toys. I think the treats stay the same. Probably the chew size changes too for smaller dogs, but that is just an assumption.

Someone asked me about the expiry dates on the treats and all of them have at least one year if not longer.

Someone also let me know that the promocode "FREEFORYOU" is no longer working.

You can try 3M9PCJQYLT
But if you have any difficulty PM me and I'll try to find a code for you.

Chow for now!
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Sorry I forgot to add the photo.
Attachments
IMAG2584 (1) copy.jpg
IMAG2584 (1) copy.jpg (138.04 KiB) Viewed 7871 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Moose looks great! Congrats.

Glad to hear he is enjoying getting the mail. Having all those goodies in there probably makes the delivery person feel a bit safer.

Not a bad choice to move up to the large dog shipment. When it comes to toys and chew items, I think its better to be on the large size for chows. They still have a large bite and jaw size even if they fall into the medium range based on weight. They proportionally have a much larger and more powerful bite than other dogs in that same weight group. So, even if the box contains some treats, you can cut down those to a recommended diet based on weight, but the chew toys will be more acceptable.
Chowchow Light
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchow Light »

keep posting the bark boxes :) i'll be reading about it :D wish they have one for malaysia :)
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

We signed up too! It's so cute to open it with them. They know what "I got you something" means when I go to the store so I use it with the bark box too. Some of the toys they don't like. Shug only likes stuffed toys and
Chloe doesn't like toys at all. I am putting aside the ones they don't like and plan on donating them to a local rescue.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

As per request, I will continue to update re: barkboxes we are receiving. :)

I really love how they have been themed so far. This month to celebrate thanksgiving in the US:

1) Turkey plush toy - very soft fur and includes a crinkly body and a squeaker

2) Canadian leaf - made with much more durable material, center squeaker and two ropes coming out each end

3) No Grainers Jerky Chews - Turkey Sweet Potato Flavour

4) Rocco and Roxie Beef Jerky sticks - 7 inches x 8 sticks

5) Happy Howie's Woof sticks- 11 inches x2
Attachments
Barkbox 3.jpg
Barkbox 3.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 7655 times